Thread: Prisms+

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Prisms+

I'm trying a slightly different (muddier) colour scheme here. Basically I have 6 triangular prisms and a glass rod in this shot. I've worked with some baffles to try to concentrate and constrain the smoke a bit more here too.

Prisms+

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Prisms+

I like the composition, I just find that the colour red is too dominant.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Daniel

Looks futuristic. Kind of grows on you.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks Ole and Daniel - I was experimenting with the positioning of the lights here to see what would happen if they were closer to the Plexiglas diffuser than I had usually placed the. The result is that the light sources are more discrete and don't blend as much as in the other attempts.

Something else to explore down the road a bit.

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Manfred, it's me again !
    Do you think it might be possible or more feasible to achieve similar results using software tools contained in LR or CC ?
    Tools such as Linear or Radial Gradient, just to name a few among the many available...

Perhaps this approach could take a bit more time, but would the results be significantly different ?
    Honestly, I don't believe so.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by The amateur View Post
    Manfred, it's me again !
    Do you think it might be possible or more feasible to achieve similar results using software tools contained in LR or CC ?
    Tools such as Linear or Radial Gradient, just to name a few among the many available...

Perhaps this approach could take a bit more time, but would the results be significantly different ?
    Honestly, I don't believe so.
    Use both linear and radial gradients in these pieces, but only as part of the dodging and burning processes to manage the bright and dark areas a bit better. Smoke / mist / fog are hard to emulate because it is translucent. The only luck that I have had in that type of situation with Photoshop is with the generative fill functionality, which I do not use with my smoke and glass works.

I don't think the results would look realistic, given the effects that are being achieved here.