Thread: Using a 4 x 5 view camera

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Using a 4 x 5 view camera

I had first experience with a view camera (a 4" x 5" Cambo) mounted on a large camera stand (both can be seen in this image).

The glass plates were hand-coated in the darkroom and were somewhere between ISO 0.25 and ISO 4 (orthochromatic = red and amber safelights could be used in making and developing the plates). Depth of field was very, very shallow and focusing the camera (front of the camera was fixed and the back plane was moved up and down until things looked sharp). The small shop light, seen in the shot was needed to blast enough light at the subject to make it even slightly visible on the ground glass plate on the camera).

Shooting wide open (f/5.6) required 50 blasts from a Bowens monolight. Development was in Kodak Dektol (manufacturer's recommendation; this is a silver halide paper developer).

My results were underwhelming - no usable images after four tries. I guess I'm not destined to be a large format photographer...

Real Name
    David

Re: Using a 4 x 5 view camera

Top marks for effort, but I wonder why anyone would want to do it the hard way when there are more effective ways to make a photo.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I agree 100%.

Academic exercise (part of a course I am currently taking). A lot of people are getting back into film / large format and hand-coated plates.

I will likely never do this again, but it gives me a better appreciation as to how the great photographers of the past worked.

Real Name
    Richard

I rally liked using view cameras on a camera stand. In my first Navy photo lab, our portrait setup was an 8x10 view camera setup for two shots on a piece of 5x7 film.

That was a PITA since we most often needed 4x5 inch prints for roster boards. That meant that we could not contact print the negs but, had to use a 5x7 inch enlarger.

Of course, we used Kodak large format film. Even when I began in photography, only certain hobbyists ever made their own emulsions.

An acquaintance of mine, rigged up an old wooden 8x10 inch view camera with a DSLR mounted inside. The lens stuck through the front lens board of the camera. He was part of an American Civil War portrayal group and he played the part of a Civil War Photographer. He wore a long tan overcoat and a slouch hat and used the synonym of Matt Brady.

This is the type photo he produced...