Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Butterfly show and condensation

Real Name
    Catherine

Butterfly show and condensation

There is a butterfly show here and I would like to take photos but I don’t want to get condensation on either my lens or camera. The outdoor temperature forecasted for when I plan to go is in the high teens (Celsius) and the humidity about 60%. The temperature in the butterfly show can go up to 30 and it is very humid there.

I suppose I could keep my camera in its bag for awhile, until it is acclimatized, but I don’t really know how long that “awhile” needs to be and I don’t know how to determine how great the risk is in the first place.

Could someone please give me their opinion? Thank you

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Butterfly show and condensation

Unfortunately, if there is a big temperature differential and the warm area is humid, allowing the gear to warm up is the only solution. I've done shoots in butterfly gardens before, and I simply left my photo backpack closed for a while. Unfortunately, I no longer remember how long.

You could take some unimportant glass with you to test when it's warm enough.

Real Name
    Catherine

Thanks Dan!

I might try that or I might cancel. The show has been reserved for 30 people from the photo club and if I cancel then maybe someone who would use more of the allotted time would get to go instead.

Real Name
    André

I have been to this show a few times and never experienced condensation problems. My gear is all Canon cropped format so it is fairly small and I suspect that the wait in the anteroom was long enough to warm it up.

Real Name
    Dan

Warming it up in advance certainly helps. I went once in cold weather, and I left the photo bag open in the car on the way there and only closed it up before going into the zoo.

I did have condensation the first time. One thing you can do is put a cheap filter on the lens. That way, if you get condensation, it won't be on the lens element. You can take the filter off when the temperature has adjusted.

Real Name
    Catherine

Thank you Andre and Dan. It is actually so humid and hot today that if this weather continues there it might not be any concern after all. Good to hear that it has never been an issue for you Andre, that's important information.

I thought that the concern with condensation was not only with the outside of the lens. If moisture condenses where the lens joins the camera then couldn't both the camera sensor and the electronics of the lens be affected?

Real Name
    Dan

I've never had enough condensation to penetrate the body. Then again, my cameras are quite well weather sealed. If yours are, then that isn't a worry.

Real Name
    Catherine

Thank you Dan. I won’t over-fret it.

Real Name
    Richard

I solved the condensation problem by carrying my camera under a jacket or shirt next to my body before entering the butterfly enclosure. The body eat keeps the camera warm eliminating condensation when you start shooting in a warm and humid environment.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I recently visited a butterfly house and to avoid condensation I borrowed my wife's wheat bag. After giving it a 3 minute blast in the microwave, wrapped it up in a towel and put it in a another large bag with all my gear. Worked a treat.

Real Name
    Catherine

Thank you Richard and Paul. I went last Friday and didn’t get any good shots. I’ve spoken to a few others and they were in the same boat. Maybe some others had success though, I don’t know. If I go next year I will try microwaving one of those bags and putting in with my gear before going. I did try putting it under my jacket for about 20 minutes before stepping into the butterfly show but that did not provide enough warmth or humidity to prevent a massive amount of condensation.

Real Name
    Yes

I have a supply of hand warmers, the type where you click a metal tab to promote crystal formation and regenerat in hot water. One can trigger these when required to gererate heat, puut in the camera bag the contents are warmer up. I also use when putting cold equipment into my bag to stop condeensation when moving indoors.

Real Name
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    I have a supply of hand warmers, the type where you click a metal tab to promote crystal formation and regenerat in hot water. One can trigger these when required to gererate heat, puut in the camera bag the contents are warmer up. I also use when putting cold equipment into my bag to stop condeensation when moving indoors.
    That sounds like a good plan! Thanks. I have a supply of hand warmers so it would be easy for to do this.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    Thanks. What a great idea! I'd never thought of that, even though I do often have those around because of winter shooting. I also have a battery operated one that would work.