Thread: Flare Repair

Real Name
    Al

Flare Repair

What is the best technique to remove the flare spot on the right shoulder? I have CS5, and I tried the color brush, but the spot is still very apparent... just a different color. I'm thinking that the best option may be using the clone stamp (for color) and patch tool (to restore the original texture after the clone), but I'm a real newbie at PS. Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions.

Flare Repair

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Flare Repair

I would use the clone tool.
    If you enlarge just the section of the image affected, you will be able to obtain a much finer control of the tool.

Hi,

Start with the Color Replacement brush. Set the mode to Color, sampling to once, limits to Contiguous and the Tolerance around 20%. Your choice of foreground color will make a big difference -- set the foreground color by sampling from the area just outside the spot -- you might try a couple different color choices.

Once the color is corrected the spot will still be too light and too flat. Use the History brush to paint in a correction. Set the History brush blending mode to Multiply (darken) and to Overlay (raise contrast). Set the opacity low (12%) and the brush edge real soft. Paint back and forth between the two blending modes until the spot blends in.

Joe

P.S. Hi all -- I'm new here -- just signed on over the Xmas break.

Real Name
    Al

Thanks, everyone. I'll try your suggestions and see what I can come up with. This may take a couple of days, but I'll post the result (and the technique used) if/when I obtain something I think is acceptable. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Peter

Here is a trick I fell upon by accident.

Select the area with the elliptical marquee tool and the apply a curves adjustment to the selection by darkening it to suit. You can also use levels by raising the black clipping point and fine tuning with the mid-tone point.

Finally run the spot healing bush over the result to smooth and blend the colour.

In this way you do not have to worry about getting correct selection over a multi-coloured area.

I have applied this technique on your image. It took 30 seconds (admittedly it could be fine tuned a fraction but you get the jist).

Flare Repair
    Last edited by Peter Ryan; 5th January 2011 at 05:01 AM.

A quick fix with no precision, but the result is ok.
    Flare Repair
    The PSD + movie(no sound) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4686872/Cowb...un_014a-fx.rar
    You can use VLC to play http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

Try content aware fill. There is a random factor built into it so if it doesn't work the first time give it a few more tries.

Alan

Real Name
    Steve

Flare Repair

Quick job with the colour replacement tool. If that doesn't work, cloning.