Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Beaches

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Beaches

This is a photo of Avalon Beach - Northern beaches of Sydney. C & C Please.

Nasseem

Beaches

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Beaches

Nasseem

That is a very good.

The only question I would have is about the vignetting at the top corners. Have you put that in? If so, I wonder what it is like without it?

There is also a dark mark just at the edge of the vignette at the top right. I don't know what it is. But I'd be tempted to clone it out.

Real Name

Hi Don,

Yes I have added vignetting in ACR. As for the dark object, I dont know- may be a log or something. Ill try and adjust as per your recommendations.

Thanks for your comments.

Nasseem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Nasseem

That is a very good.

The only question I would have is about the vignetting at the top corners. Have you put that in? If so, I wonder what it is like without it?

There is also a dark mark just at the edge of the vignette at the top right. I don't know what it is. But I'd be tempted to clone it out.
    What about this Don

Nasseem
    Beaches

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by maloufn View Post
    What about this Don

Beaches
    Personally, I prefer this version. It will be interesting if others could come ion and express a view, because they may differ in their opinion.

But that is the beauty of our craft. We can make differing version and then spend time critically appraising them. It is important that you acknowledge that your first idea was to put in the vignette. You did that for a reason. And it may be that this was a perfectly valid and appropriate reason. The fact that I prefer it without the vignette only tells us that I wasn't so keen on the vignette. You may well prefer your original version.

Sometimes I do think we should stick with our first instincts.

Real Name

In this case I also prefer this version. There is no reason for the vignetting. I think I was just starting to use these techniques at the time and was happy to be able to do so.
    Thanks again. May be Ill get some others commenting. Ive got many other beach photos but Ill wait to see if anyone else is going to add to the thread.

Thanks again Don

Nasseem

Nasseem

I love the first version. It is very voyeuristic in its presentation. If the subject was simply a girl (or man for that matter) without the board the image would have told a powerful story. For me the technical perfection in this style of image is irrelevant since the overall subject , mood and conjecture are far more powerful than a few minor tweeks to the tonal curve.

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice. Great composition. I kinda like the vignetting in this photo. Both are geat though

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Nasseem

I love the first version. It is very voyeuristic in its presentation. If the subject was simply a girl (or man for that matter) without the board the image would have told a powerful story. For me the technical perfection in this style of image is irrelevant since the overall subject , mood and conjecture are far more powerful than a few minor tweeks to the tonal curve.
    Thank you Steve. I am sending another. C& C please.

Nasseem

Beaches

Real Name
    Steve

Nasseem
    I like this second image more than the first one. Lovely composition with the edge of the path creating a leading line to the figure on the beach.

The only very slight negative for me is that the figure could have done with being slightly bigger as it is a little bit lost but then again that might be the beauty of the image that you are drawn to that area and have to really look at it.

I wonder what the image would look like as colour but with the saturation decreased a lot just to give some very subtle colouring?

Steve

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    Nasseem
    I like this second image more than the first one. Lovely composition with the edge of the path creating a leading line to the figure on the beach.

The only very slight negative for me is that the figure could have done with being slightly bigger as it is a little bit lost but then again that might be the beauty of the image that you are drawn to that area and have to really look at it.

I wonder what the image would look like as colour but with the saturation decreased a lot just to give some very subtle colouring?

Steve
    Well here it is. What do you think? Personaly I prefer the B&W

Nasseem
    Beaches

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by maloufn View Post
    Well here it is. What do you think? Personaly I prefer the B&W
    I agree. Definitely the B & W.

Real Name
    Steve

I agree, the B&W is far nicer.

Nasseem

the black and white version is definitely the winner. I can not quite figure out if the processing is a heavy leaning on the tonal curve and levels or something else but it works for me. Probably because I stretch tonal manipulation as far as I can to achieve the feel I want. Not as far as Radu (see Central European Lines) but his boldness certainly pays off in my opinion. I also like the central horizon. This does not work in the majority of landscapes but it works here. I usually have a lot to rant on about with landscapes since I get terribly bored with the same old fluffy seas and shiny rocks. I do not usually comment on landscapes for this reason (exceptions are found on CiC e.g. Donald, Wendy , Radu etc. Whilst not wholly 'original' (what is?) I do admire the boldness and unconventional composition in this image.

By the way I love IMG_1368, IMG_9164a, IMG_7387, IMG-7438a and IMG_7640a on your Flickr
    Last edited by Wirefox; 28th December 2010 at 02:12 PM.

Real Name

Thank you Steve. It works for me too. I love some of your composites on your site. Thats a new area for me. I guess you really need to know PS well. Is that the case ?

Nasseem
    Last edited by maloufn; 29th December 2010 at 07:33 AM.