Pic 1
    Pigeon Point Light House
    Pic 2
    Pigeon Point Light House
    Pic 3
    Pigeon Point Light House
    Pic 4
    Pigeon Point Light House

Taken at Pigeon Point Light House , California.
    Nikon D200, 18-200VR. Used Nikon CP filter + UV filter (which is always there for protection)
    Curve done with GIMP.
    Pic 2 and 4 colored.
    Please Comment

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Pigeon Point Light House

Ajith,

I like the juxtaposition of the flagpole and the lighthouse in the final shot, although possibly going in a little closer to avoid the vast expanses on either side that leave my eye wandering.

The light creeping around the lighthouse in picture 2 even if it is very central in the frame works very well, probably my favourite of all four shots. This central position seems to work here.

The other two bother me, the non vertical position of the lighthouse, I find off balances me, even sat down! Was there a particular reason for this?

The two shots that are coloured seem to have a halo effect on my calibrated monitor. This may be a result of downsizing the shots for the web, or the result of the colouring. Does it appear like that at your end?

Interesting shots as usual.

Cheers

Ian
    Last edited by shreds; 9th January 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Ajith,

I like the juxtaposition of the flagpole and the lighthouse in the final shot, although possibly going in a little closer to avoid the vast expanses on either side that leave my eye wandering.

The light creeping around the lighthouse in picture 2 even if it is very central in the frame works very well, probably my favourite of all four shots. This central position seems to work here.

The other two bother me, the non vertical position of the lighthouse, I find off balances me, even sat down! Was there a particular reason for this?

The two shots that are coloured seem to have a halo effect on my calibrated monitor. This may be a result of downsizing the shots for the web, or the result of the colouring. Does it appear like that at your end?

Interesting shots as usual.

Cheers

Ian
    Thanks for your comments Ian.
    I am not getting the halo effect in my monitor ...may be I check it in some other monitor..

Real Name
    Ian

Ajith,

I have a strong suspicion it is due to the effect of compression for the web, but it is strange that it is not apparent on your monitor.

My iMac maybe responsible as it has a screen size of 23", which may be causing the effect?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Ajith, Ian,

I see the haloing, or mild posterisation* on #4 and to a lesser extent #2 on my 17" PC laptop screen. I put it down to jpg artifacts, but I may well be wrong.

* the effect where one (usually deliberately) uses less bits than are necessary to display a full pallette, hence resulting in steps of colour or brightness rather than a gradient. I'm seeing a contouring effect with halo lines, a bit like isobars around a depression (or high) on a weather chart.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 12th January 2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: improve isobar description

I see no halo effect, but then again I'm using a good old reliable CRT.

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Ajith, Ian,

I see the haloing, or mild posterisation* on #4 and to a lesser extent #2 on my 17" PC laptop screen. I put it down to jpg artifacts, but I may well be wrong.

* the effect where one (usually deliberately) uses less bits than are necessary to display a full pallette, hence resulting in steps of colour or brightness rather than a gradient. I'm seeing a contouring effect with halo lines, a bit like isobars around a depression (or high) on a weather chart.
    At least its not just me then. Phew!