Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 7D Focusing...

Real Name
    Richard

Canon 7D Focusing...

I am salivating over the Canon 7D and, after selling my 17-40L and 70-200mm f/4L (non-IS) lenses plus some other miscellaneous equipment, at a used photo gear event in January; I am pretty sure that I will buy the 7D since, by selling equipment I already own, the purchase of new gear is guilt free!

I have been researching the 7D and like a lot of things about it. IMO, it is aimed at a more sophisticated group of photographers than the 10D-50D and especially the 60D. I am making this observation because Canon finally deleted the "dummy modes" of portrait, sports, etc.

One of the reasons I am salivating over the 7D is the improved focusing capability. Here is an in-depth review of the 7D focusing methods and capabilities...
    http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0310.html

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Re: Canon 7D Focusing...

Good choice Richard. I have owned one for over a month now and I am still learning it.

I haven't tried this lens myself but it is certainly popular with bird photographers due to the fast auto focus.

But if I had to replace my 40D tomorrow, I honestly don't know what I would get. I had great hopes for the 60D when it was first being discussed, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go down that road now.

Real Name
    Richard

I am not a whit interested in the 60D. I normally use a 40D and a 30D mounted with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/4L IS as my go-to duo for all my general and travel photography. I shoot about 90% of my imagery with these two lenses although I do have other longer and shorter top-notch lenses.

I do like my 40D quite a bit better than my 30D. If I had a pair of 40D cameras, I probably would not even think of an upgrade. However, I am reluctant to purchase a used 40D since they cost used, about what I paid for a refurb model quite a few years ago.

When I purchase the 7D, I will keep my 30D as a backup but, will shoot with the 40D (probably mounting my 70-200mm lens) and the 7D (probably with the 17-55mm lens).

There are a few other bells and whistles on the 7D that interest me; including wireless flash capability!

The ability to crop more drastically is not a deciding factor for me since, when using my two zooms, I seldom crop to any degree... The high ISO capability of the 7D is O.K. but, I seldom have a use for such extreme ISO.

My wife is excited about the video capability but, I really am not.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Richard,

I like to think of the 7D as almost a crop-factor version of a 1D series. If you're not planning on going 1D series, then it's the next best thing in a crop factor.

Real Name
    Kay

...and just to show I'm not abandoning my portrait lessons practice - I tried the wireless flash feature today rather than the reflector as I've not ever tried this function before.
    this was using the pop up flash as the trigger for 1 speed-light held off to the side by the 'VLA' (trademark Colin!)

now I know how it works I'll have to practice some more

Canon 7D Focusing...

Real Name

Hi Kay,

Nice work - it's not that hard now is it?

Now for the CiC ... ...

- I'd move the models a little further forward to get a little less light on the background

- I'd put a light vignette around the outside to draw the eye into the middle, and de-emphasize the arm in the middle a little

- Personally, I've always had an issue with arms leading the eye out of the frame, as per the lady in the middle (not always easy to do anything about, although I do tend to get them leaning in with arms around each other, although it's not a perfect solution either).

- Excellent job lining up the eyes (I keep a selection of cane mats in the studio for just this purpose).

Still a very nice shot though.

PS: I've been thinking of adding part 6 to the portraiture school series, but not sure how much interest there is - so if anyone's reading this, lets have your thoughts on it!

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou Colin!
    I will have a play with the pp suggestion, but I have to be honest now - I think the eyes lining up was a fluke, although when 'you know who', said I can't be this close to Harriet I'm invading her personal space.....I replied Trust Me! - it will work, so something was intentional
    So thanks again and if the others are still keen for more portraiture school lessons if you have time, I think you know I'd be keen.
    Cheers from across the ditch

Real Name

Let go with part 6. I still have to get a flash to finish part 5. That will this week hopefully.
    Last edited by Sam Smith; 25th December 2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: grammar (not my strong suit)

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Kay,

Nice work - it's not that hard now is it?

Now for the CiC ... ...

- I'd move the models a little further forward to get a little less light on the background

- I'd put a light vignette around the outside to draw the eye into the middle, and de-emphasize the arm in the middle a little

- Personally, I've always had an issue with arms leading the eye out of the frame, as per the lady in the middle (not always easy to do anything about, although I do tend to get them leaning in with arms around each other, although it's not a perfect solution either).

- Excellent job lining up the eyes (I keep a selection of cane mats in the studio for just this purpose).

Still a very nice shot though.

PS: I've been thinking of adding part 6 to the portraiture school series, but not sure how much interest there is - so if anyone's reading this, lets have your thoughts on it!
    Now, I'm gonna sound stupid....... but where is part 1-5 of the portraiture series?

Real Name

Starts here. "School of Portraiture" - Lesson 01 - Backgrounds / Locations. It is located in the "people and pets" section. Your best bet is start at lesson one and work to lesson 5. Be sure to post your "homework". My advice is to pay attention to your background.

Some of the bird photographers here http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/fo...om-50d-7d.html have been discussing upgrading to the 7D.

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Colin...

I am not going to the 1D (series) for two reasons which I consider valid for me and the way I shoot.

First is weight. I like to shoot with a pair of cameras and substituting a 1D (series) camera to my duo would increase the weight considerably. However, it is not just the weight of the camera which I consider. The weight of a 24-70L lens which I would use as my mid-range zoom on a 1D camera is quite heavy. I like the combination of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS on a pair of cameras. However, carrying much more weight on 8-10 hours of walk-around shooting would tax my old body too much.

Second is my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. I absolutely love the capability of this lens and would be hard pressed to give it up.

There is a used photo equipment sales event not too far from my home in mid-January. I have promised myself to gather all the equipment which I don't use with any regularity, rent a table at the event and convert this equipment into the major portion (if not all) of the funding I will need for the 7D. Like I mentioned, when I recycle older gear into a goodly portion of the price of new equipment; I don't feel at all guilty about buying that stuff.

Next will be converting some high-end fishing tackle into a significant portion of the price of my next trip. I'd really like to go back to China, but my wife has her sights on Europe... especially Greece. I have been to Greece many years ago and really am quite bored by the hoards of tourists at any sight of interest. Of course, there are even more tourists in China but, these folks usually offer interesting photo opportunities in themselves...

Canon 7D Focusing...

Canon 7D Focusing...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Hi Colin...

I am not going to the 1D (series) for two reasons which I consider valid for me and the way I shoot.
    Hi Richard,

Fair enough. I hear weight mentioned a lot for 1 series cameras and L series lenses, although to be honest, I've never really understood why a couple of pounds of camera makes much difference to 150 pounds of body that we're carrying around anyway.

I wouldn't give up my 1 series for love nor money (well perhaps for money, it there was enough of it) ... there are just too many firmware options that I enjoy and I like the solid feel to it.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith View Post
    Let go with part 6. I still have to get a flash to finish part 5. That will this week hopefully.
    Hi Sam,

I just wrote it up and posted it here for you