Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightweight Gear

Re: Lightweight Gear

Hello William,
    No offense taken.

Hello Manfred,
    My Russian supervisor told me "Bob there are some questions you should not ask."
    My Pommie supervisor had a slightly different take on things. I once asked him "Can I ask you a stupid question?'
    His answer was "You can try but I must warn you, only truly intelligent people can ask truly stupid questions."
    That was twenty years ago and I'm still confused.

Bob

Hello William,
    I missed your last post. Was busy replying to the previous ones. Bit of background: I have a BSc in Mechanical Engineering, a BA in Philosophy, a BA Hons in Philosophy, and a PhD in Philosophy.
    Strangely enough it was my HND in Mining Engineering that allowed me to be a mining engineer [ gained Chartered status in 1979 ]. My experiences in the mining industry are unfortunately covered by the National Security Legislation of three sovereign states.

Last sentence is a bit of BS I added for fun. The real 'Legislation' is never written down.
    In addition to my formal thingies I did receive a 'Gold Star' for finger painting in 1957. [ just a fact ]

Bob

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Finger painting is so much fun and some modern high end artists get paid a fortune for it.

The last sentence, ("My experiences in ...), sticks out like Dog's Ball's as verifiable Bull Dung (don't ya love mixing those metaphors) - but it was generous of you to assume my having a lack of Bull Dung Detection - probably you mistakenly and misguidedly also assume that the Maroons are the epitome of State of Origin . . . oh it could be a never ending narrative of slur, sarcasm and sledging. (Oh, the Alliteration!)

On the more serious matter under the sub-head Emotional Intelligence: sincere thanks for the background briefing, it is well received, noted and appreciated (understood). It makes for a deeper sense of the foregone.

On another topic - are you still using a Flash to photograph the birds in your backyard? Never really found out what you choose and I sometimes think about it, not you specifically, didn't remember it was you until a few posts ago... when the Kookaburras take up Office on my Hill's Hoist, I'd ponder sometimes, "Wonder what that Bloke decided? He never came back to tell us."

WW

Hello William,

Well said!

1] Never knew that.
    2] Not that interested in League only ever played Union.
    3] Not sure what you are on about sorry.
    4] Good to know I got you pondering.

Bob

PS If you are interested in poetry check out James Joseph Sylvester. From memory there have been a lot of mathematicians that were into poetry. Bronowski was a poet.

Just found this:

Out of the cradle
    Onto dry land
    Here it is standing:
    Atoms with consciousness;
    Matter with curiosity.
    Stands at the sea,
    Wonders at wondering: I,
    A universe of atoms
    An atom in the universe.

That's supposed to be by Richard Feynman.

I might look for some more.

Bob

This is the one I was looking for: https://www.southalabama.edu/mathsta...ewLastPoem.pdf

Sorry to keep adding bits.
    Last edited by BobGilbody; 2nd February 2023 at 02:09 AM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

1] Glad to advise.
    2] possible Private School education roots - I played proper Football (the round one), quite a difficult 'choice' at a "Rugby" School.
    3] Simply explained - thanks for your background. It adds context to what you wrote.
    4] I can live without knowing the answer: there are many things to ponder.

Thanks for the name, the link and the poems. Yes I am interested.Will research.

And on Mathematicians and Poetry:"You have no idea, how much poetry there is in the calculation of a table of logarithms." Carl Friedrich Gauss.

In your leisure time, have a go at - "Disquisitiones Arithmeticae", it certainly slowed me down, and I am on the second reading. . . very slowly.

Cheers for now.

Bill

Hello Bill,

I'm not much good at mathematics. Tend to go off at tangents. I did read up on Gauss for my thesis.
    If you are interested you can read it here:
    https://rune.une.edu.au/web/handle/1959.11/17416

For what it is worth I hold that there is only one 'dimension' in this universe and that time is discrete with gaps. Just my opinion.

Bob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123