Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tree and its shadow

Real Name
    Jonathan

Tree and its shadow

Hello,

The picture below was taken from my window, and the window has a net protection, so that I could not put my body out of it. Give your opinions on what I could improve regarding the limitations. Thank you.

Tree and its shadow

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Tree and its shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Pohled View Post
    ... the window has a net protection, so that I could not put my body out of it. Give your opinions on what I could improve regarding the limitations. Thank you.
    Jonathan

I think the idea behind this was good. You saw a strong pattern which was the shadow of the leaves on the wall. It is that sort of imagination, that 'eye' for seeing an photo-opportunity that we have to develop in ourselves.

I think the challenge you faced with this particular photograph is that there is no real main point of interest. Although it has an interesting pattern on it, there is still a very big expanse of grey concrete wall. There is nothing specific for our eyes to concentrate on as the main area for attention.

I also think you will find other people writing on here about needing concentrate on the whole frame when you are composing an photograph in your viewfinder. So, not only muist you concentrate on what is in the middle part of you viewfinder, but you must also concentrate on what is at the edges. In this case we have very distracting branches. It would be much better if they were not there. That is why composition can be quite a complex process. But it is a something worth practicing, because you will be able to improve your compositional skills. It is also a very important skill to develop.

So, I would say - Keep working with thos eideas that you have. You demonstrate that you do have the ability to think about all the options that are available in making a photograph.

Real Name
    Jonathan

Re: Tree and its shadow

Hello,

Thank you very much for your comments, Donald. I'll keep that in mind. I also took some that show less, but the light is not so good. Yesterday and today it is rainy and cloudy, I wait untill it is bright and sunny weather again so that I can try to get a different shot, perhaps from a different window. Unfortunately I don't know any one who lives in the builiding right in front of this wall, because it would be perfect angle. =D