Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help me choose

Real Name
    David

Help me choose

I have an old Nikon D70 6 megapixel camera. Wondering whether it is time to upgrade.
    the lenses I have are a Quantaray 70-300 mm, Nikkor 18-70mm & Nikon DX fisheye.

Should I just get a camera body with higher megapixels and use the same lenses?
    I am looking at this package of
    # Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera
    # AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    # AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

Thanks

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Help me choose

Hi ETERNITY,

Any chance of a real first name?

I have the D5000 and it is a good camera - I chose it over the D90 (which uses same 12.3 MP sensor) because of the tilty LCD screen - if you don't especially want that, I would say go for the D90 to give you a wider choice of lenses - I am finding that a pain now (but I like the screen too).

I don't know either lens, but are you sure you'll see a benefit with the 18-55 VR over the 18-70?
    I guess it has stabilisation (VR), but quality wise, it may not make much difference.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Kathy

What is it that your D70 (and assorted gear) doesn't do that you wish it did? And are you sure you can give up the dual-wheel controls of the D70 by going down-tier? (i.e., in Manual, you won't have one dial for aperture and another for shutter speed. You'll have a single wheel and a mode button. I personally, would find this a PITA to go back to; and as a Strobist, a commander in the pop-up is a useful feature I wish I had).

To me, wanting newer shinier gear is a constant, so I try to prioritize by what I actually need the most. I find that I tend to want stuff more than I need it. And while it's always easy to want one of the latest bodies for the cool new features, it may be that what you really need are different lenses or a tripod or a flash or software or a course/seminar instead. As long as you have a camera you can shoot with, maybe a new body isn't the priority, especially as a cooler shinier one is bound to come along every year.

I tend to prioritize lenses over bodies because glass lasts longer and depreciates more slowly than bodies. To me, I only start looking at getting a new camera body if a) my old one breaks, or b) all the other gear I want costs just as much.

I started out with a Canon XT, and had added three $1000 L lenses to the bag before the XT died and I got a 50D. I still use all three of those lenses, even though my XT is now in parts bins, and my 50D has been (mostly) succeeded by a 5d2. And if I were to sell any of those three L lenses, I'd probably get most of the money back. Not so much with the 50D.

Real Name
    David

Thanks for the information. The CMOS in my D70 died. I looked at the D5000 and the D90 and saw that both have the same CMOS but the 5000 is almost half the price. The lenses seem interchangeable especially the fisheye. Thanks again

Real Name
    David

Oh I forgot - My name is Dave as well!

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Dave and welcome to CiC.

Firstly, if you go into My Profile you can include your first name where is asks for Real Name and it will show on the left here. It will make communicating friendlier and easier.

I have a D70 and recently upgraded to the D300. There was not much I couldn’t do with the D70 and only changed because some of the commercial stuff I did required higher resolution but I do agree with Kathy’s comments but you have explained the reason and I understand that.

I have not looked at the new Nikon models you mentioned but I would be very surprised if the lenses did not work on these Nikon models if they worked ok on the D70. I would take the lenses with you when you look to purchase the new model and talk with the dealer.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by ETERNITY View Post
    Thanks for the information. The CMOS in my D70 died.
    Then yeah, you need a new body.

I looked at the D5000 and the D90 and saw that both have the same CMOS but the 5000 is almost half the price. The lenses seem interchangeable especially the fisheye. ...
    Yup, the D5000 is a DX body, just like the D70 and D90, so you can use all the same lenses on it.

Basically, the D5000 is a lower tier than the D90, but they do share a sensor (the D300s also has the same sensor in it). Tiers are not about image quality. In the same generation, cameras typically share the same sensor/processor. But they differ in usability features.

The D5000 has video and a flip-out screen, but there's no commander in the pop-up flash, no PC port, no focus motor (so only AF-S lenses will autofocus), no dual wheel controls, and no DoF preview button. It's got a smaller lighter build. It is, overalll, not as nice to use for most people. But image quality wise, it will be pretty much on a par with the D90.

I think the thing you have to figure out is whether you can deal with "missing" features from what you're used to with the D70. If you can, then get the D5000. I'd say handle one in a store to see, and if that's not enough time, then consider renting one for a few days.

If you can wait (and I can totally understand if you can't), you may want to see what the spring brings in terms of product announcements. No idea when the announcements will start, though, since PMA's moved to September. And CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas is happening in early January, which seems way too soon. Most spring product announcements tended to cluster around PMA in February or March.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Then yeah, you need a new body.
    That makes two of us! But I'll go on a diet after Christmas.

Real Name
    Pops

Ive been stuffing a few bucks a month in an old sock for some time now. I started this thinking I needed another lens or two. However, the back of my mind keeps whispering "D90, D90, D90," seductively.

Personally, I would go for the D90, because it will run the lenses you already have plus the newer (crippled) lenses. That is why I chose the D70 to act as a back-up for my primary D40. I now find that I'm carrying the D70 more often than the D40. It is heavier, clunkier, not as cute and takes the same pictures. However, I don't have to be selective in the lenses I grab for that day, I have greater control over the settings and it fits ME better. I like it.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

As an aside, I've been looking at the factory refurbed D90s on ebay. Prices are averaging about $600 to $650.

"D90, D90, D90"

Pops
    Last edited by PopsPhotos; 23rd December 2010 at 11:59 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    Ive been stuffing a few bucks a month in an old sock for some time now. "D90, D90, D90"
    Pops, Call it your Christmas present to yourself!!

Real Name
    Pops

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Pops, Call it your Christmas present to yourself!!
    Marvelous idea. Now, convince FirstInLine!

Pops