Thread: flash photography for birds in flight

flash photography for birds in flight

I am presently photographing birds that visit my granny flat. Recently I have been using Canon speedlites to get BiF photos. There seems to be a lot of opinion regarding use of flash for bird photography but informed scientific information is more difficult to track down.
    The following is taken from https://global.canon/en/environment/...ers/index.html :

7 Do not use a flash.

This seems to me a less opinionated take on the question: https://www.naturescapes.net/article...s-and-animals/

I have been experimenting for about three weeks. The birds I've photographed are Sulphur crested cockatoos, rainbow and scaly breasted lorikeets. The birds do not seem at all troubled by the flash. I photograph them at about 4.00pm. They arrive for afternoon feed at 2.30 pm onwards, however around 4.00pm they have a silly half hour during which they squabble and fly around a lot.
    I have had limited success so far but believe I have finally got a set up that will give reasonable results. The limiting factor is 'when to press the button'. I thought of using a laser trigger but I would not wish to hit a bird in the eye with a laser pencil beam.

Is there an ethical issue or not?

Thanks Bob

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: flash photography for birds in flight

I would not claim that a prominent bird photographer was a close friend but we were certainly well acquainted. He published several books on NZ birds, was a qualified vet, at one stage headed the P.S.N.Z. honours selection panel and was a fellow of the society. He developed a powerful high speed flash so he could photograph kingfishers diving into his pond to catch goldfish. He won a major award in the British Wildlife competition with such a shot that in those days they did not think could be taken.

His advice was that in daylight the flash was too fast for the birds vision to even register the flash. He observed no difference in behavior of the birds when using or not using the flash. However he did a series of owl photographs at night and said you needed to take extreme care if using flash as you could do serious harm to the birds vision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Moon

It was a privilege to have known him.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 15th April 2022 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks pnodrog,
    Your acquaintance seems to have known his stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Bob

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by BobGilbody View Post
    I am presently photographing birds that visit my granny flat. Recently I have been using Canon speedlites to get BiF photos. There seems to be a lot of opinion regarding use of flash for bird photography but informed scientific information is more difficult to track down.
    The following is taken from https://global.canon/en/environment/...ers/index.html :

7 Do not use a flash.
    That is quoted out of context:

The meaning is clear (underlined and bold for emphasis) - "Never use a flash at night. If you do, it may startle the bird and cause injury. When it's dark out, instead of using a flash, please select a higher ISO speed." (op.cit.)

Quote Originally Posted by BobGilbody View Post
    This seems to me a less opinionated take on the question: https://www.naturescapes.net/article...s-and-animals/
    Seems not less opinionated, seems to read the same, yet with more detail, specific to use of flash in darkesss - "In total darkness, use of flash may cause a temporary reduction in vision for 5-20 minutes. It takes one hour of dark conditioning to achieve maximum electrical responses from rod cells in the retina. The regeneration of rod function even after “bleaching” by a bright light is not linear with time. Animals and birds probably have 50% return of function in the first five minutes, and 75% in another five minutes. The rods are rapidly moving from zero function to full sensitivity during that time, with the greatest return of function per time unit occurring in the first 10-15 minutes.

Because of the initial impairment of vision from flash in total darkness, repeated flash of birds or animals in this situation is not advocated. Ethical nature photographers avoid altering their subject’s behavior. The judicious use of flash in completely dark situations causing a brief vision alteration must be offset by the educational value of the photograph made. Technically excellent pictures of owls and other animals in their natural environment made at night with flash may, in the end, benefit the species as a result of increased public awareness. In select situations, the use of flash may be justified. Many nocturnal species rely upon other senses in combination with vision during dim or dark conditions; for example, the auditory capabilities of owls at night are probably far more important for hunting as compared with the visual sense." (op. cit.)

Dunno Mr Moon, though I expect that when Paul wrote "However he did a series of owl photographs at night and said you needed to take extreme care if using flash as you could do serious harm to the birds vision."

My interpretation of Mr Moon's meaning of "serious harm" was that it could temporarily stun the owls, from which could result injury: this seems to be the same message in the two cites you have quoted.

Seem to me, you're shooting birds using flash in relatively bright ambient conditions: from my research, I see no ethical, nor anthropological harm issue here.

WW

Footnote - just for kicks and giggles, let's start on the use of Studio Flash and Infant Portraiture.

Real Name
    Richard

I will always err on the safe side when photographing wildlife.; birds or mammals. Therefore, I will not use flash at night, close up, or in very low light conditions.

However, when using a bit of fill flash (especially HSS) from a distance in a bright daylight, I don't think that the flash will disturb any wildlife.

The Audubon Society says to use flash "sparingly". IMO, a bit of fill flash would be within those parameters...At times it will fill in the eye areas jut a bit like in this shot of a gorilla at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park...

When I photograph dogs, I will almost always use a bit of fill flash because it gives the eyes life...

Photographing birds in flight is often from a distance in which the flash would have little or no effect. But, some fill might have improved this shot...

I have an after market reflector for my powerful Godox 360 flash which will concentrate the beam allowing flash coverage from greater distances. However, I do not use this when shooting birds....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th May 2022 at 05:10 PM.

Real Name
    Ken

"Never use a flash at night.
    Therefore pretty safe 2.30-4.00 in the afternoon.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

[QUOTE=William W;771011

[I]Dunno Mr Moon, though I expect that when Paul wrote "However he did a series of owl photographs at night and said you needed to take extreme care if using flash as you could do serious harm to the birds vision."

My interpretation of Mr Moon's meaning of "serious harm" was that it could temporarily stun the owls, from which could result injury: this seems to be the same message in the two cites you have quoted.
    [/I]

Bill, not surprised "dunno Mr Moon. He was well before your time... and as the talk he gave was in the 90's although my memory is clear on what restrictions to apply when using flash the exact reasons may be a little vague and it is highly likely your interpretation is correct.