Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Man's Best Friend

Real Name
    Chris

A Man's Best Friend

Out for a little late afternoon looksee for a possible moonrise only to discover it was too cloudy. I'd shot several images when this man is a pirogue (flat-bottomed skiff) slides ever so silently into my frame. I was shooting my stock lens at 18mm and experimenting with a variety of aperture combinations trying to keep up with the changing light/setting sun/cloudy conditions and trying to make sense out of all the bells and whistles on this new fangled camera. The following images were shot over a time frame of about 3 minutes, with me scrambling to make something work since it was one of those serendipitous moments. They certainly need better camera action, but as I've learned, the more they cost, the more gadgets you have to figure out...but, boy, ain't it fun!

A Man's Best Friend

A Man's Best Friend

A Man's Best Friend

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A Man's Best Friend

Chris

Each of them looks a little soft to me. Do they need a bit more sharpening?

My attention falls onto the third one in particular. The other two don't grab me, I'm afraid. It's probably the fact that the we can see the dog's face as it is looking towards us. I think, as well, there is an element of mystery in that we know man, dog and pirogue are about to disappear behind from view behind the bank and the trees, and we wonder where they're going. A nice, peaceful image.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Chris

Each of them looks a little soft to me. Do they need a bit more sharpening?

My attention falls onto the third one in particular. The other two don't grab me, I'm afraid. It's probably the fact that the we can see the dog's face as it is looking towards us. I think, as well, there is an element of mystery in that we know man, dog and pirogue are about to disappear behind from view behind the bank and the trees, and we wonder where they're going. A nice, peaceful image.
    I like the last one the best as well. When I did a sharpen, I got so much extra noise, I had to remove it. To get these images, I really had to push the PP in every direction. I only wish I'd seen (or heard) him coming as then I could have readjusted the exposure compensation...and, I probably could have if I knew the camera better. Lots of bells and whistles to figure out yet.
    Last edited by MiniChris; 18th December 2010 at 06:40 PM.

Real Name
    Thierry

I agree with the comment of donald. On my screen which is not calibrated it apperas very soft. lack of contrast ?? do you have the raw file. If you agree to share it through a link to uplaod it I will be interested

Real Name
    Chris

It is soft, that I know...I may have dumped the card already as I was not overly excitied with the image, more the serendipity of the moment and the dog looking at me so very carefully.

Real Name
    Thierry

I tried to post process your picture. Sorry for my rough english

1°) I increased the luminosity
    2°) I reviewed contrast
    3°) I increased sharpness acting on the L layer (Lab colors)

If my proposal does not fit with your expectancies feel free to tell me and I will remove it

A Man's Best Friend

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tb72 View Post
    I tried to post process your picture. Sorry for my rough english

1°) I increased the luminosity
    2°) I reviewed contrast
    3°) I increased sharpness acting on the L layer (Lab colors)

If my proposal does not fit with your expectancies feel free to tell me and I will remove it

A Man's Best Friend
    Your English is far better than my French which is exceptionally limited. What program did you use? I just wish I had of had a bit more light so I could have shot at a higher shutter speed. It is still a bit too soft, but it is definitely better via your adjustments. Thanks!

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Man's best friend. Love or Hate ??? C&C please.

Nasseem

A Man's Best Friend

Real Name

Mans Best Friend. Curiosity. C&C please.
    Nasseem

A Man's Best Friend

Real Name
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Your English is far better than my French which is exceptionally limited. What program did you use? I just wish I had of had a bit more light so I could have shot at a higher shutter speed. It is still a bit too soft, but it is definitely better via your adjustments. Thanks!
    For items 1 and 2, I used Lightroom and for 3 I use Photoshop CS2. If you wish I gan provide you values for both softwares

This post processing appears perhaps still too soft however, I think that with an higher resolution picture the result will be more effective.

Oups, I did also under LR a small decrease (around 10K) of the white balance temperature

Real Name
    Thierry

Nasseem,

I am a great fan of your 2 pictures. 2 beautiful pictures

Real Name

Thierry,

Thank you so much. They both captured a special moment - and is that not what we as photographers try to do. You got to be quick and ready for the unexpected. I guess I was just lucky also.

Thanks again as I am just starving for comments- positive or negative.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by maloufn View Post
    Thierry,

Thank you so much. They both captured a special moment - and is that not what we as photographers try to do. You got to be quick and ready for the unexpected. I guess I was just lucky also.

Thanks again as I am just starving for comments- positive or negative.

Nasseem
    Hi Nasseem,

I don't know exactly with my rough english how to explain it but your 2 pictures release some "positive waves" "good feeling". Up to you