Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What do you think of this?

What do you think of this?

Sorry for being so annoying with all these posts, I'm just very ambitious to learn. What do you think of this photo? How can I fix/improve it?

alas-b-day-1229.jpg
    edited

lampedited-66.jpg
    edited

alas-b-day-122.jpg
    original
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Chris

Re: What do you think of this?

The colors are fun, but the images are much too light - perhaps a little more contrast would help.

This return image only has an adjustment to the curve and a contrast shift to the plus side, with the brightness pushed a little compensate for the highlights:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    The colors are fun, but the images are much too light - perhaps a little more contrast would help.

This return image only has an adjustment to the curve and a contrast shift to the plus side, with the brightness pushed a little compensate for the highlights:

I really like that! Thank you!

Utopian

I presume the lamp was lit? It's very difficult doing these shots. Either the lamp is lit but it's too bright, or you have the lamp unlit but then get all kinds of reflection on the glass. I use an in-line dimmer switch, which fits into the cord of the lamp and allows you to turn the lamp down really low, which helps a lot with the exposure. You should be able to get one for a few dollars. Ask your parents to fit it for you, if you want to get one (Headline: "Parents curse Moderator!"). Have a look at this video - he explains it better than I can. http://www.theinternetelectricalstor...mmers-67-c.asp They don't work with the energy-saving bulbs though as they need full power to switch on and run.

Also, here is one of my shots using a dimmer switch http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...7623499077504/
    Last edited by carregwen; 18th December 2010 at 09:06 AM.

You're not annoying! You're fun!!!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Utopian

I presume the lamp was lit? It's very difficult doing these shots. Either the lamp is lit but it's too bright, or you have the lamp unlit but then get all kinds of reflection on the glass. I use an in-line dimmer switch, which fits into the cord of the lamp and allows you to turn the lamp down really low, which helps a lot with the exposure. You should be able to get one for a few dollars. Ask your parents to fit it for you, if you want to get one (Headline: "Parents curse Moderator!"). Have a look at this video - he explains it better than I can. http://www.theinternetelectricalstor...mmers-67-c.asp They don't work with the energy-saving bulbs though as they need full power to switch on and run.

Also, here is one of my shots using a dimmer switch http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...7623499077504/
    What were your settings on that shot? I'd like to pass this test on to my students...fortunately, one of my cousins is an electrician and I can get a variety of switches and bulbs to play with. If this is proprietary info, could you at least get me in the ballpark (oh, you wouldn't know that term - close)?

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I agree...boy, what I would have done to have a site like this when I was just starting out...ask away and be the better person for it...and if you don't think that is true, look at the number of posts I've made doing exactly that same thing. I'm an inquizitive old toot.
    Last edited by MiniChris; 18th December 2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Typos..I am a good speller but a terrible typist.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    What were your settings on that shot? I'd like to pass this test on to my students...fortunately, one of my cousins is an electrician and I can get a variety of switches and bulbs to play with. If this is proprietary info, could you at least get me in the ballpark (oh, you wouldn't know that term - close)?
    f/18, 1/125/s, ISO100, but I used a studio flash head. The power level was way down low, probably about 15-20% of standard 60W blue lamp. I can't recall the exact set-up now, it was back in July. Any electrician should be able to sort out a switch for you, or you can buy them on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    You think I'M fun? ahahah! wow! x)
    ..thank you! [: