Thread: Reponses PHOTO magazine

Real Name
    Nuno Pacheco

Reponses PHOTO magazine

Does anyone knows about an english version of this magazine?
    I only know it in French, and it is such a good publication.

All articles, discussions and reviews are of such great quality.
    The images published are superb.

But I'm very bad at french..

Is there any magazine as good as this one that you know of?
    |
    Last edited by carregwen; 19th December 2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: took out accent mark

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Réponses PHOTO magazine

Hi Nuno,

I love Réponses Photo and pounce on the rare copies that make it into my local magazine shop. My understanding is that it is modeled on a UK publication and I wonder if it isn't Digital SLR Photography, which also offers expert commentary on reader submissions. (But maybe all the UK mags do?) Between the two, I have to say I prefer Réponses Photo, for the quality of the articles and the general aesthetic, which is more in tune with my own.
    If it helps, there are a number of En-Fr glossaries of photography on the Web; for example: http://www.galerie-photo.com/termes_..._francais.html .
    And I just saw that the Office de la langue française du Québec has compiled a Fr-En lexicon for PhotoShop: http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/ressource...s55/index.html
    There's probably no better way of learning a language than by reading on a subject you are familiar with and passionate about, so I would encourage you to stick with Réponses Photo.

Best,
    Janis

Real Name
    Janis

Hi again Nuno,

According to the French Wikipedia, RP was inspired by the British magazines Photo Answers and Practical Photography, but has evolved to meet the demands of their French readership. I have not sampled either of those magazines so am not in a position to compare.

Janis

Real Name
    Nuno Pacheco

Well... I think I will have to practice my french a little better.
    I have not found any magazine better than this one, do you agree?

Real Name
    Janis

I have only bought four other magazines but so far, no, none of them compares. RP has a clean layout, relatively few ads, lots of substance, and edgy, challenging images along with the more conventional. It may not be the best place for a beginner like me to go looking for the basics in technique, but I have books for that, and online tutorials like the excellent ones here. I go to it for inspiration and the coverage of fine art photographers. If you haven't seen it, this summer's special issue, Pourquoi Le Noir & Blanc? has a fascinating article about Sebastiao Salgado's transition to digital.

Anyhow, congratulations for continuing to make the effort. If you need help deciphering something particularly difficult, feel free to send me a private message and I will do my best to translate.

By the way, I took a look at your gallery and I think you should definitely submit your work to one of RP's contests, especially your B&Ws.

Best,
    Janis

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

One of the best I've discovered is pbase magazine - and it's free!

I would draw your attention to issue #6 in particular, but the boss here would kill me

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree with Colin (since it was him who first pointed us (me) to this online publication in the first place). I had read all the issues up to teh time they took a sabbatical in 2008. Great to see that publishing has re-commenced.

On Issue 6, it's page 3 you want. It's all about some guy who started a website!
    Last edited by Donald; 18th December 2010 at 07:48 AM.

Real Name
    Nuno Pacheco

Thanks for the tip. I will read it!

Real Name
    Malco

Réponses PHOTO is certainly one of the best magazines on offer. If it was modelled on any of the UK mags then it certainly has left them behind. Perhaps not for the beginner looking for basic tips, but if you want inspiration and articles covering serious photography it's wonderful. My French isn't great, but I subscribe because I find it does help with the language and the photography. Stick with it

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Malco View Post
    I subscribe
    Hi Malco,

What part of the world are you in and is delivery reliable? I have hesitated to subscribe because I don't want to have to go chasing after missed issues. I am smack dab in the middle of Canada, and the issues that find their way here are few and far between.

Janis

Real Name
    Tony

Hello Janis, I am a French Canadian ,living in Montreal Quebec and RP is easily available here in many library.
    Maybe it would be easier to find the distributor here to order

best,
    Tony