Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Candids for Critiquing

Real Name
    Jeff Mollman

Candids for Critiquing

Here are some candid shots I've taken over the last couple of weeks. Curious to know your thoughts on them. People photography definitely isn't my strong point, though I do enjoy it. So give me your worst criticism

#1 my friend that has the gear that I want
    Candids for Critiquing

#2 The Die-Hard Fisherman
    Candids for Critiquing

#3 Lunchtime
    Candids for Critiquing

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Re: Candids for Critiquing

Hi Jeff.
    #1 - Nicely composed but a little under exposed for my taste. It has lost some of the detail that I think you were trying to convey.
    #2- This is the one I like the most. I would have put the man more to the left and cropped the dead space out on the right. I do like the fact you left the bank on the upper left so we have a reference of how far into the river he is.
    #3- I like the concept but it is under exposed and again loss of detail. I like how it was composed. I know it was hard to balance the composure as the light coming in the from left would have been blown out if the person was not under exposed. As I am learning how to PP my own work I am not any help there.
    I think your on the right track with composition and developing your "eye".

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm broadly in line with Sam's comments

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmoll View Post
    Candids for Critiquing
    Like you, Jeff, I want what he's got!

My first reaction was, 'Oh! that railing on the harbour wall'. But then I changed my mind. But, it feels as if the whole thing needs a counter-clockwise rotation. Just slightly, so that the person doesn't look as if they're about to fall over backwards?

[IMG]Candids for Critiquing
    My pick of the set as well.

What I thought was particularly good was how you've got the person lined up inside that reflection that comes all the way down from the top of the frame. Good positioning and composition. I know Sam suggested a bit of cropping, but I like it as it is. I think it's well balanced.

Candids for Critiquing
    I also like this one.

Don't know if you've mastered dodging and burning yet, but some dodging on the person might have brought up just a bit more detail (but, you just want a little bit). The one thing that distracts me about it is his flask (Does everyone in the English-speaking world call it that? The thing he keeps his hot/cold drink in). It's neither in nor out of the picture. If it had been in full show, it would have helped tell the story; i.e. lunchtime. As it is, I'd be tempted to clone it out and rename the image something like 'Contemplating'. Also, I think the flask is too colourful for the rest of the image.

I like the set-up of it. You did an excellent job of spotting the opportunity that was there and I like how you've arranged it and exposed it just to pick up highlights on the face and clothing (which is why I'd go very lightly with any dodging brush)

Real Name
    John

1st image, the shadows beneath his feet could have a bit more tone to them, however, longer shadows would require more image to the left. You want to see what he is looking at, but perhaps he doesn't see anything.

Real Name
    Thierry

I like your set of pictures and more particularly the 2 first ones