Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: nikkor old 50mm 1.4 or new 50mm 1.4 ?

Real Name
    Martyn

nikkor old 50mm 1.4 or new 50mm 1.4 ?

has anyone had any dealings with both lenses ? i have the old 1.4 and whilst the worm drive motor is distracting its something i can live with, however i do notice a lot of chromatic aberration compared to say the 70-200 2.8,
    i dont know if this might be down to the protection filter ?, my question is does the new model handle the CA better ? cheers martyn

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: nikkor old 50mm 1.4 or new 50mm 1.4 ?

Hi Martyn,

I am considering getting the new 50/1.4 and if greedy 35/1.8 for myself, so if I weaken, I'll let you know.
    Digressing slighty to explain my greediness, I can get both for a lot less (about £500) than a decent quality f2.8 short/wide zoom, plus they'll be a lot less heavy in use.

The 50/1.4 seems to get good reviews, just I fear it may not be wide enough on a DX camera, hence getting a standard (angle of view) lens too.

What camera; i.e. crop or fullframe are you using your old 50/1.4 on, I ask because that'll make a difference to CA; I won't be able to see the edges of the image circle on my DX camera, but these things get worse the further from the centre you go.

Real Name
    Kathy

nomadr--what kind of CA? If you talking about something like purple fringe if you're shooting wide open at f/1.4, try stopping down to f/2.8, and it'll probably become as well controlled as your f/2.8 70-200. Color fringing is pretty typical for fast lenses when shot wide open against backlighting or with blown highlights.

Real Name
    Martyn

thanks for your replies, yes its purple fringing, i will try not using 1.4 (never thought that wide open might be the cause),
    dave i think the old style 1.4's have dropped in price since the new style came out, i bought mine ages ago
    i shoot a lot of low light stage photography and find i can get closer with the D3, when i use the D200 i have to stand a lot further back to get everything i want into the frame,the 50mm is fantastic with full frame but it all depends what type of photography you do,cheers martyn

Real Name
    Chris

I have a question that is related to this discussion, but only if you believe in kissing 3rd cousins..or something like that. I have some older Nikkor 1.8 AF lenses that came on my FM2's I use in the classroom. These cameras are well over 20 years old. The lens will fit comfortably into the opening of a D40 without any oddness, but I am wondering if they will work in a manual setting without damaging the D40...in other words, will the lens so confuse the D40 as to make it do something bad?

Real Name
    Pops

I don't think you have anything to worry about, Chris. I have used an old E-Series 50mm on my D40 without any confusion on the part of the camera, so long as I remembered to tell it to let me go manual.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

I have a student borrowing a 6006 with that 50mm and a 135mm manual for her assignments requiring a light meter.

Pops

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks for the info and the link back to Rockwell. Where in WA state are you located? My brother lives on San Juan Island. Also, if you are not familiar, there is a great publication done in Anacortes called, Lens Work which features stunning B&W photography.
    Last edited by MiniChris; 16th December 2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Bad typos -it was late, I was tired...

Real Name
    Pops

I'm over on the dry side, about the center of the state. (If you click on the "My Place" in my signature, you'll see it and the rodeo bulls across the road. )

Pops

Real Name
    Chris

I've overnighted in both Moses Lake and Ellensburg on trips from the Photo Formulary in MT to Anacortes to catch the ferry to the islands...pretty country you live in.

Real Name
    Pops

Many people drive through here at 90 miles per and see nothing but flat. If they stop and allow me to take them out and around, they begin to see the beauty.

Pops

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I have a question that is related to this discussion, but only if you believe in kissing 3rd cousins..or something like that. I have some older Nikkor 1.8 AF lenses that came on my FM2's I use in the classroom. These cameras are well over 20 years old. The lens will fit comfortably into the opening of a D40 without any oddness, but I am wondering if they will work in a manual setting without damaging the D40...in other words, will the lens so confuse the D40 as to make it do something bad?
    The Ken Rockwell link is useful, I agree.
    I owned a D90 before and now have a D7000. The advantage of the D7000 (like the pro models such as D700, D3) is that it can use all AI Nikkor lenses and meters as well if you are on manual or aperture. The D90 didn't meter, so you had to look at the results on your screen and adjust accordingly (which was a bit of a pain).
    The D7000 even shows you when you have focused correctly, so the lenses get a new life really.