Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colour or Black & White

Real Name
    Peter

Colour or Black & White

I took this image on a recent trip to the Little Desert NP. We had lunch by this waterhole, a rare thing in this cast wilderness.

I am going to print the image (A3) for sale at my market stall but cannot work out if I print in colour (although it is almost a monochrome shot) or B & W.

A survey of CiC members will help.

Colour or Black & White

Colour or Black & White

Real Name
    John

Re: Colour or Black & White

I would choose color but I would boost the color temperature a little to boost the foreground color.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for the feedback John. I will have a look at that. I did post the B & W in he Mono Comp and it voted quiet well (to my surprise) but I prefer the colour. Thought this was a good way to gauge opinion.

Real Name
    Elise

Well . . . I vote with the monochrome people. I find the patch of blue in the top one distracting, but that's not an issue in the black and white one. My eyes are drawn more to the twisty trees in the bottom one.

Real Name
    Peter

Stop confusing me Elise. I was heading down a comfortable path until you posted.

Real Name
    Chris

Well, I am going with the monochromers but I think your mid-range grays need a little more snap...and perhaps this is novice attempt...(as to be so presumptious to think I can outprint you...but for the sake of art...)

Colour or Black & White

Real Name
    Peter

I really do appreciate your thoughts and input Chris. I did in fact do a copy like this on my computer but in this post I used the one I posted in the B&W comp. I think if I did a B&W I would print it more like yours but the actual subject was soft on the eye with a light sandy soil and very light coloured trees but I agree it benefits from some punch. The paper I use is quiet contrasty so something in between might work well.

Real Name
    Chris

Comparison - Heaven Can Wait

The crazy thing about this thread is I was opening up to do exactly the same thing with two prints...These were shot expressedly to play with low light, hand-held and see how well I could hit my white balance. I could use some good criticism on these...they are two different crops from the same image. I am somewhat frustrated that I cannot get down to 1/2 stops without having to get overly EV-ish....sometimes, by the time I get to that step, the moment passes.

Colour or Black & White

Colour or Black & White
    Last edited by MiniChris; 15th December 2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Change title to avoid confusing two threads in one.

Real Name
    Chris

Have you ever hear of Jon Cone's Piezography carbon based inking system? I think your work would greatly benefit from this system. The richness in detail is unsurpassed by anything else I've ever seen. It is truly incredible. www.piezography.com

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Have you ever hear of Jon Cone's Piezography carbon based inking system? I think your work would greatly benefit from this system. The richness in detail is unsurpassed by anything else I've ever seen. It is truly incredible. www.piezography.com
    Thanks for this reference Chris. I have bookmarked it for furture reference. Unfortunately I use a Canon printer; until it breaks and I can choose again.

Real Name
    Peter

The crazy thing about this thread is I was opening up to do exactly the same thing with two prints...These were shot expressedly to play with low light, hand-held and see how well I could hit my white balance. I could use some good criticism on these...they are two different crops from the same image. I am somewhat frustrated that I cannot get down to 1/2 stops without having to get overly EV-ish....sometimes, by the time I get to that step, the moment passes.

Colour or Black & White

Colour or Black & White
    I do like the B&W and I also prefer the first crop, it gives a much stronger composition from my viewpoint. The only thing I would do (and I think you can do this successfully) is to clone out the window reflections in the ladies glasses. These are often hard to get rid of but at this angle, their relatively small size and the associated tonal range I think you can do it successfully.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I took this image on a recent trip to the Little Desert NP. We had lunch by this waterhole, a rare thing in this cast wilderness.

I am going to print the image (A3) for sale at my market stall but cannot work out if I print in colour (although it is almost a monochrome shot) or B & W.

A survey of CiC members will help.

Colour or Black & White

Colour or Black & White
    Hi Peter

I like the B&W version because the picture becomes the patterns of the trees and leaves for me. I can stare into the B&W and see lots of positive and negative shapes. It becomes really interesting. I think the texture of the ground is more pronounced in the B&W too. Hope this helps a bit.

Real Name
    Kay

Well I am normally a B&W fan, but this one it just seems bland to me, the colour one with the muted tones of the subject really works...
    For Chris' however the opposite, the B&W is my much preferred choice of those 2.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Colour or Black & White

Colour or Black & White
    Well, now! Surprising as this may seem ...............

I think the B & W is too complex in terms of shape and texture. There's nothing to 'grasp' and it's not, I think, a 'relaxing' image. It's aggressive. It sort of takes you by the throat and shakes you. And I'm not sure if that's the market you're aiming at.

The colour, on the other hand, 'softens' it for me. We get much more of a sense of the track leading us through the trees to the water hole and a greater sense of calmness and serenity. I think the colour gives the image a depth that the B & W doesn't have.

So, Peter, on the basis of this totally divided opinion, it's back over to you to make the choice!

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well, now! Surprising as this may seem ...............

I think the B & W is too complex in terms of shape and texture. There's nothing to 'grasp' and it's not, I think, a 'relaxing' image. It's aggressive. It sort of takes you by the throat and shakes you. And I'm not sure if that's the market you're aiming at.

The colour, on the other hand, 'softens' it for me. We get much more of a sense of the track leading us through the trees to the water hole and a greater sense of calmness and serenity. I think the colour gives the image a depth that the B & W doesn't have.

So, Peter, on the basis of this totally divided opinion, it's back over to you to make the choice!
    You're right Donald - the B&W is more aggressive but that is why I like it. But then I do really like B&W. I can see what you mean about the colour version being softer - it has a more relaxed, laid back feel to it.

Are you regretting asking for opinions Peter? Have we totally confused you?

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

I like the B&W better. It makes me take a longer look at it, while the color does not.

Real Name
    John

Colour or Black & White

Colour or Black & White
    Chris,

You should probably re-title your image so there is less confusion between the two sets.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Well I am normally a B&W fan, but this one it just seems bland to me, the colour one with the muted tones of the subject really works...
    For Chris' however the opposite, the B&W is my much preferred choice of those 2.
    Same here, i prefer the B&W for two reasons: the monotone look fits in with the imagery or at least suggest the imagery of tiredness, loneliness, etc. As for the color image, the shadowy, pale green color is just not complementary to the other hues in the image.

Real Name
    Chris

Comparison -Heaven Can Wait reworked

As usual, Ryan, you are spot on with your critique. Losing the highlights in the glasses helps to avoid distractive moments. I did give it a bit more work dodging in the hair highlights and a bit more burning in the shawl shadows as well.

Colour or Black & White
    Last edited by MiniChris; 15th December 2010 at 12:02 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I'm going with the black and white Peter.
    B & W surely relies upon shape, texture and contrast ... you have that in abundance.
    Colour images surely relies upon shape and colour ... you have little of the latter, to the extent that the image looks like a tinted b & w.
    That's my reasoning, probably not well explained, but no doubt you get my drift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast