Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Macro function in compact cameras

Real Name
    Jonathan

Macro function in compact cameras

Hello,

I know that macro function is useful to taking close-up pictures and alike. But when I set this optionin my camera, I don't see big differencies when I shot. What is the proper way to use it? There is also a super-macro option. And my camera user's guide has a warning "Be careful to avoid damaging the lens when shooting in Super Macro mode", why could this happen?

Thank you all beforehand =)

Real Name
    Elise

Re: Macro function in compact cameras

The warning is there because in "Super macro" mode you need to be so close to the subject that it could touch the lens. I think you might not notice a big difference on regular macro mode unless you're photographing something that's small enough that your lens in regular mode wouldn't be able to focus on it. Not sure that's correct, but I think so.

It took me a while to get used to the macro mode on my Canon S2, but once you get it, it's a lot of fun.

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

Macro mode is used for close ups. In newer cameras the camera will switch to macro automatically when it tries to focus. In older cameras there were two of in the case of super macro three focus zones. In the older cameras when they were set to macro they could not focus at normal distances.

Super macro is even closer than macro. I had a Canon point and shoot that had a minimum focusing distance of ZERO. This is used to take a picture of something that is backlit with the subject held flat on the lens ring. Obviously, if you try to focus on a subject by moving in on it in super macro mode there is a danger of the lens making contact with the lens and the lens being scratched.

Alan

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hi Jonathan,

You wouldn't know the utility of macro mode, until you use a camera/lens without Macro mode, Where in you will have to maintain minimum distance (usually 6" to 1') to get the subject in focus.

HTH.