Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Port Talbot ice scenes

Port Talbot ice scenes

Shot these yesterday in Port Talbot. Still very, very cold here, as you can see from the ice conditions. The lake is part of the steel works. It's just HERE on the map.

C&C welcome.

Port Talbot ice scenes

Port Talbot ice scenes

Port Talbot ice scenes

This one is the BOC gas works on the way out. It was just getting dark.

Port Talbot ice scenes

Re: Port Talbot ice scenes

God! These must be really bad...

... in fact, they are so bad I'm going to take them down...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    God! These must be really bad...
    Everyone must be too shy.

I think I've seen that pier and the gate before, haven't I? This (the 1st one) has got a lovely 'coldness', 'starkness' about it. There's a simplicity about it that is its strength.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

An interesting series Rob, breaking several conventions, and maybe even being slightly provocative?
    'Gas' is a great exposure and I like the fact that you've chosen not to take a shot at 90 degrees to that fence. Who says that a fence will hinder the shot!
    N(ice) - at first glance the intrusion of the pier bottom left concerned me, but the more I come back to the shot, I realise that it is balancing the junk bottom right. In similar vein the fence to left balances the opposing tree and holds the eye, taking you through to the background - clever stuff.
    'Geometry' has beautiful tones and great dof.
    'Pier Ice' breaks all the rules in my book, and works. The slight tilt on the horizon cleverly balances the opposing tilt on the top rail of the the fence. The pier itself gives a great lead in to the shot ... and then you hit the 'wall'. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    An interesting series Rob, breaking several conventions, and maybe even being slightly provocative?
    I'd just spent six hours with my mother-in-law. Do you think that might account for it?

'Gas' is a great exposure and I like the fact that you've chosen not to take a shot at 90 degrees to that fence. Who says that a fence will hinder the shot!
    Yes, I was quite surprised that it came out so well. I used my Panasonic G1, and the image quality in edit was very good. I used ISO100. Couldn't avoid the fence as I had to stand in the middle of the road (and nearly got run over)

N(ice) - at first glance the intrusion of the pier bottom left concerned me, but the more I come back to the shot, I realise that it is balancing the junk bottom right. In similar vein the fence to left balances the opposing tree and holds the eye, taking you through to the background - clever stuff.
    I was very restricted for space, but then I realized it sort of framed the foreground and led you out, as you say.

'Pier Ice' breaks all the rules in my book, and works. The slight tilt on the horizon cleverly balances the opposing tilt on the top rail of the the fence. The pier itself gives a great lead in to the shot ... and then you hit the 'wall'. I like it.
    Had problems here. The shoreline in the distance is not on the same plane (it's moving away to the left) so it looks wonky. Then the steel gateway in the foreground wasn't level, but the pier itself was! I like the coloiurs and clarity in this one though.

Thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    David Moss

Pier Ice is my favourite of the 4, really stunning. good stuff!