Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rockefeller Xmas

Rockefeller Xmas

C&C please, although I think I know what will be said.

Rockefeller Xmas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rockefeller Xmas

Warren

I would love, in the first instance, to know what you think was going to be said, because the best way of learning is to self-analyse. What is your own opinion of this image?

Well I can't see a lot wrong with it, Warren. I would prefer that patch of light at the extreme right edge to be slightly darkened and it might be worth trying a very tiny increase of brightness in the midtones.

But I certainly wouldn't do a lot more in the way of alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Warren

I would love, in the first instance, to know what you think was going to be said, because the best way of learning is to self-analyse. What is your own opinion of this image?
    Well for starters, it does not look as clear or as vivid as perhaps it could be. And I also do not like that bright light coming in from the right hand side either. I would also have liked the shutter to have been a bit slower to maybe smooth out the water a tad more....

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Warren,

In addition to what you and others have mentioned, I would skew (to perspective correct) the top right corner (mostly), which would lose most of that right hand highlight as it would be cropped off.

I to some extra clarity you felt lacking, you might try a process to raise the brightness of (just) the balls to get more shadow detail there, then Local Contrast Enhance it.

I can see that a longer shutter speed would have helped with the water as you say.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Warren

I like it a lot. The reason I asked the first question as I did, was that it suggested less than total satisfaction on your own part, and wondered what this was.

I agree with Dave about the perspective correction. And although I don't mind that light on the right-hand side, a perspective correction would have the effect of getting rid of most of it.

I'm not sure that you'd want it any clearer or more vivid. I think you might start introducing an artificiality that doesn't exist at the moment. And I wouldn't have gone for a slower shutter speed or you would start losing definition in the water and it would just come out all 'fluffy'.

All of that is but one view. The most important view is yours and, particularly, the view you saw in your mind when you pressed the shutter.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th December 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    C&C please, although I think I know what will be said.

Rockefeller Xmas
    What I want to know is did you use a tripod?

Yes I did use tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

All of that is but one view. The most important view is yours and, particularly, the view you saw in your mind when you pressed the shutter.
    Well, what I saw is actually what you see. I dont really have the creative eye, I see something that I like and photograph it, but I can't find something ordinary and turn it into something extrordinary....I really wish there was something I could take or read to figure out what my photos need, in other words, how do you know to but up contrast here, or lower brightness here or using or not using a mask....I am not even sure why I care so much, it is after all, just a hobby, but I think if I am going to do something, I should at least try to be decent at it.

Thanks for everyones comments.

Knowing the best ways of taking and editing a photo, Warren, is something that comes with practice; at least that is what the experts tell me.

I agree with you, do your best and try to learn; but always remember that it is supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

Real Name
    John

Yes I did use tripod.
    Were you shooting from the sidewalk, the middle island, or some other location? I would think it difficult to get such a clean shot with so many people walking by.

Real Name
    Pops

Well, what I saw is actually what you see. I dont really have the creative eye, I see something that I like and photograph it, but I can't find something ordinary and turn it into something extrordinary....I really wish there was something I could take or read to figure out what my photos need, in other words, how do you know to but up contrast here, or lower brightness here or using or not using a mask....I am not even sure why I care so much, it is after all, just a hobby, but I think if I am going to do something, I should at least try to be decent at it.

Thanks for everyones comments.
    This is one of the hardest things to teach, because there are no hard and fast rules, only guidelines. The best way to learn is to go in and play around with the editing controls. NEVER SAVE THE RESULT! AWAYS SAVE A COPY!

The photograph is what is stored in the camera. The picture is in the mind of the photographer. If you play with a photo and get results you like, then you have a start. When we, here, give comments and advice concerning changes, we are telling you what our minds would like to see. Try those suggestions and, if you don't like those results as much as your own, don't apply them. It is your picture, not ours.

That is why it is so hard to teach that to beginners. They all want to take our advice as the "only way to go," or the "right way" or "that is what the guru says." I once graded "A" and put on the "wall of fame" a student's picture. She was very surprised, because she "had made a mistake." She had shot a sunset while still set for flouresent lighting. It was very incorrect technically, but it was absolutely eye grabbing and enjoyable visually.

Pops

thanks pops, good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Were you shooting from the sidewalk, the middle island, or some other location? I would think it difficult to get such a clean shot with so many people walking by.
    It was pretty late in the evening on a less than normal busy day, but I was right on the sidewalk, but I have to admit, I have several where people crept in, but my crop is so tight, you cant see them in this one.

Real Name
    Pops

I just remembered a comment on this subject I heard a few years ago, which made me laugh.

"I wonder if Andy ever got good grades from Norman?"

Pops