Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photoshop Magazine - Worth the Subscription or Not?

Photoshop Magazine - Worth the Subscription or Not?

I am curious if there are any subscribers to the Photoshop Magazine, the official mag of the NAPP? I am a real newbie to the photo processing of Photo Shop Elements 8 and was wondering if I were to subscribe at a price of $100 (US) per year would be worth it, I am just a hobby shooter but am always looking for ways to improve any of the images that I take.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Warren

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Photoshop Magazine - Worth the Subscription or Not?

Hi Warren
    I have always been frustrated by the lack of depth in magazine articles and therefore do not subscribe to general 'how to do it' style publications.
    I'm sure you will find far more useful information freely available on the web.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I am curious if there are any subscribers to the Photoshop Magazine, the official mag of the NAPP? I am a real newbie to the photo processing of Photo Shop Elements 8 and was wondering if I were to subscribe at a price of $100 (US) per year would be worth it, I am just a hobby shooter but am always looking for ways to improve any of the images that I take.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Warren
    Try to see what is available online for free or try a limited time subscription.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

For the price of $100.00 ( I am assuming that is your practical budget) you can actually buy 2 - 3 very good photoshop books to educate yourself about digital darkroom and post processing. I, for one doesn't subscribe to any photoshop magazines but I do own some solid books to help me educate myself. Scott Kelby's book is a very good start. Just an opinion on the matter.

Real Name
    Elise

Warren, I paid the $99 and joined for a year . . . and got very little out of it. I guess there were some interesting articles in the magazine, but as others have said, there's lots of information available in other ways, much less costly. It really was more for professionals, I felt. I also think there's very little that relates directly to Elements, although much can be adapted, I guess.

Do you know about lynda.com? You could do a course there -- for $25 you can get a month's access to any of their video training, and they have 11 hours worth on Elements 9 (also earlier versions of Elements too). I've done a couple of courses there, and it's very helpful to have your Elements open, some pictures you've taken, and just follow along with what the guy's doing. You can review it as many times as you want to in a month (just don't forget to cancel at the end of the month). It's worth taking a look.

Thanks everyone, I was just trying to get some insight on whether or not it would be worth it. I do have a Scott Kelby book, and have found it to be very helpful, my problem I guess, I would like more hands on step by step methods. I think I have some decent photos and if I really knew how to post process they could be even better, if you know what I mean. I have "The PHotoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers"....any other recommendations.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Thanks everyone, I was just trying to get some insight on whether or not it would be worth it. I do have a Scott Kelby book, and have found it to be very helpful, my problem I guess, I would like more hands on step by step methods. I think I have some decent photos and if I really knew how to post process they could be even better, if you know what I mean. I have "The PHotoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers"....any other recommendations.
    Try "Digital Photo Doctor" by Tim Daly and David Asch.

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

There are some very good tutorials on youtube.com. Seach for Photoshop plus a topic (i.e levels, color correction etc).

Alan

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hi Warren,

I've stopped buying photography magazines in general as I think they tend to repeat themselves in a cyclical manner. The advice above is, as always, top stuff. Tutorials on the web are often more intuitive, and easier to follow. Anyway, if you have any specific questions, you're already on one of the best sites on the net. If only I had more time to be here!

Real Name
    Kathy

I really like the tutorials on photoshopsupport.com.