Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: RAW & JPEG files in Canon DPP

Real Name
    Jonathan

RAW & JPEG files in Canon DPP

I have taken some of my first shots in RAW files to learn how to post process.

In other threads on this site I have seen a suggestion of taking pictures in both RAW and JPEG simultainiously so one can see the difference between the two. I thought this was a good idea and so have shot and downloaded onto my Canon DPP software a number of shots in both file formats.

When I view them as thumbnails in DPP the RAW files are sharp but the JPEG's seem out of focus. I find this confusing as my understanding is that the point of RAW files is to "fine tune" them in post processing - why then are they clearer than the JPEG's and appear to need less processing work?

I'm obviously missing something...help please! (again!).

Jon

Re: RAW & JPEG files in Canon DPP

I suppose the first question is what size Jpegs (dimensions and quality) and how do they compare with Raw when you view them at full size?

I normally select the Small Fine Jpeg option which gives a reduced, but good quality, image; although I only use these jpeg's for identification viewing.

With DPP, I have turned off the Jpeg viewing option so only Raw files appear; to save me from confusion between the two.

But I don't use DPP for Raw editing anymore (except to check Exif details), it's just that is the place where they first appear after using the Canon download facility.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

That does seem to be contra to what I'd expect too Jon.

I'll let someone that uses DPP answer.

Geoff's point about possibly using too small a jpg size (and/or too low a quality) is a good start - something even I should have thought of

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That one doesn't make sense to me either. However, you say you're viewing them as thumbnails. I think you've got to analyse much larger versions in order to make a judgement as to the respective state of the images as they are at the moment.

Real Name
    Andrew

Another thing that I would suggest is to check your camera settings. You can change the in-camera sharpness of JPEG files with the CFns.

Real Name
    Will

This is probably due to the way in which JPEGs are stored, which usually gives them a smoother look. The RAW files will always be sharper than a JPEG as the RAW contains all of the information from the sensor.

The reason that you would want a RAW file is to change the color temperature and other exposure settings that the camera normally controls before going on to edit anything else, such as correct barrel distortion, or sharpness (this can be done in many of the RAW programs available.

Hope this was helpful, if any thing needs clarification I will be happy to do so, but I won't be on the forums for a few days.