Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 52 - Q3 - David (Rufus)

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Project 52 - Q3 - David (Rufus)

Beautiful!!!

When there is a confusing forest of masts it is difficult to decide where to crop, but this looks fine to me.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    When there is a confusing forest of masts it is difficult to decide where to crop, but this looks fine to me.
    I chose the crop carefully so I am glad it works for you.

It was an afterthought on my part but, having shot the image, I thought the masts and rigging might be particularly suitable areas to check the degree of sharpness I had achieved, and I am open to comments on that.

Real Name
    David

The image for week 30 is perhaps more akin to a record shot than anything else. I was taken by the line of fine gravel along the beach with rippled wet sand on one side and smooth wet sand on the other. I think the effect of the sea as the tide went out changed according to the slope of the beach.

Week 30 # 74 – Beach at Sandwich Bay (1/125 sec at f/8 and ISO 100; focal length set at 55mm):
    Project 52 - Q3 - David (Rufus)
    Last edited by Rufus; 2nd August 2019 at 03:46 PM.

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi David - I like the texture you've spotted and captured! The only thing I might have done is crop the very little bit at the top of the image but that is only a personal observation.
    Well done!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

This image is awesome

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Hi David - I like the texture you've spotted and captured! The only thing I might have done is crop the very little bit at the top of the image but that is only a personal observation.
    Well done!
    Thank you for commenting, Sandy. I was in two minds about the crop. I have already cropped a little from the top - a very small band of sky and distant coastal town. The far distance was not in focus and my target this quarter is to get harp images so I was cheating! I chose to leave what remains at the top as a way of stopping the eye travelling ever upwards and to show that the ridge of fine shingle deviated from the straight and narrow. But I am not precious about the crop at all.

Uncropped:

Cropped along the lines of Sandy's suggestion:

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    This image is awesome
    Thank you Nandakumar, you are too generous.

Real Name
    Joe

Tough decision on where to crop, if at all! The distant village and the person standing on the shore could be removed as they are distracting but otherwise it all works for me.
    Last edited by joebranko; 5th August 2019 at 12:11 PM.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Tough decision on where to crop, if at all! The distant village and the person standing on the shore could be removed as they are distracting but otherwise it all works for me.
    Thank you for your comment Joe. It sounds like a vote in favour of my original crop in post #24.

Real Name
    David

This week's subject was built around 1790 and probably intended as a fishing lodge. It is said to be the UK's best surviving example of an 18th century Cottage Orné, and one of the earliest, the style being popular for the following 25 years. I felt it was rather grand for a fishing lodge.

Week 31 #75 - Houghton Lodge (1/250 sec at f/8 and ISO 250; focal length set at 85mm):

Real Name
    Sandy

Hi David - I actually like the uncropped version of the beach scene even better than the closer crop I suggested. Adding the person, and scenery back in gives me more perspective. The close cropped one does show me lots of texture. In my estimation, each version of the image tells a story. So my thought is that it comes down to what you want to show the viewer. It is an excellent image to work with! Well done!

Fun stuff - photography!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A couple of quick thoughts for you on the two most recent shots:

Week 30 - This type of shot is begging for a polarizing filter to kill some of the glare on the water. The next time you have a chance to shoot this type of scene, try having the line between the rough area and fine area on a diagonal rather than a vertical. That often give a stronger composition.

If you look up “Dutch tilt”, that is why that technique is used.

Week 32 - Try taming the sky a bit; it's bright and if you could introduce a bit more texture into it, the image would be stronger.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 6th August 2019 at 01:59 AM.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    Hi David - I actually like the uncropped version of the beach scene even better than the closer crop I suggested. Adding the person, and scenery back in gives me more perspective. The close cropped one does show me lots of texture. In my estimation, each version of the image tells a story. So my thought is that it comes down to what you want to show the viewer.
    Thanks Sandy. The different crops certainly provide different interpretations. My better half was recently tasked with an excercise to create 5 paintings based in varying crops of an original image. Needless to say, the source image was carefully chosen to facilitate that.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    A couple of quick thoughts for you on the two most recent shots:

Week 30 - This type of shot is begging for a polarizing filter to kill some of the glare on the water. The next time you have a chance to shoot this type of scene, try having the line between the rough area and fine area on a diagonal rather than a vertical. That often give a stronger composition.

If you look up “Dutch tilt”, that is why that technique is used.

Week 31 - Try taming the sky a bit; it's bright and if you could introduce a bit more texture into it, the image would be stronger.
    Thank you for your thoughts, Manfred.

Week 30 - A Dutch Tilt would also have justified retaining the interest on the horizon within the frame.

Week 31 - The sky is indeed very bright and plain. I plan on revisiting this as a suitable candidiate for sky replacement.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Lovely building... it would have been better if the other end of the lodging is also within the frame...

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Lovely building... it would have been better if the other end of the lodging is also within the frame...
    Thank you for commenting. I agree the building ends a little abruptly on the right hand side. However, beyond that there is a more recent closely linked extension with a grey tiled roof and a less attractive elevation so I chose to omit that.

Real Name
    John

Nice effort, agree about the abrupt ending to the building.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice effort, agree about the abrupt ending to the building.
    Thank you for commenting, John.

Real Name
    David

Week 32 - This week's image did not succeed at being in sharp focus throughout the relevant depth of field. Putting that to one side, however, it raises a question on a different aspect.

The shot was taken into the sun which was quite well hidden behind the bush (top left). I would not normally shoot into the sun but decided to throw caution to wind and try it out. It appears that light is bending round the leaves giving rise to the orange haze. The poor focus at the distance may not help. Are there steps to take to avoid this fringing (if that is the right word), other than pointing the camera away from the sun? The aperture was not very small and lens corrections were applied automatically in Lightroom.

Week 32 - #76 - Burley Landscape (1/250sec f/8 and ISO 400 - focal length set at 24mm):

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast