Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Infinity

Infinity

I was listening to the Hawkwind track Infinity this morning (yes I can hear music again, of sorts). Which lead to Polly Head in the snow....you know what happens next...

Infinity

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Infinity

Love it !!!!

Wendy

Actually it may be worth posting the simplified image. I was not sure about my standard border or the eternal light

Infinity

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Actually it may be worth posting the simplified image.
    1. No, the 'complicated' version is better.
    2. There's not a lot to say. Brilliant. Amazing. Jaw-dropping. Some folk might not like it (which is fine), but will still be in awe of the application of creative talent that led to its creation.

Real Name
    Steve

The simplified image isn't simple and is much better. I suspect it is probably better to have a real person though.

Real Name
    Wendy

My vote is for the original post also, but if you had posted the simple version first I would have loved it also.
    I'm wondering what it would look like if you matched the white border to one of the lighter tones in the shot with just the drop shadow to seperate to photo from the frame.

Wendy

Very good, Steve - up to your usual standard and beyond.

I must have a febrile imagination. I saw this, and straight way I thought of Ash's death scene in Alien. I suppose that is an important element in photography, that an image subconciously reminds you of something else, and by doing so you find some connection with it. Perhaps you could get some milk thickened with cornflour (which is probably what Ridley Scott (another Northerner) did in Alien, and reprise this famous scene with your 'head'?

Am I rambling again? Shut me up. Do a Sigourney Weaver (Ooooo!) and pull my plug out.

Real Name
    Raylee

I like the original with the 'eternal light' too. I think I need some lessons on your smoke effects Steve. Would you be prepared to share your secrets with us?

The image does make me think of sci fi movies too. The Alien scene that is ingrained on my brain is from the original movie where the creature bursts from John Hurt's abdomen. Fantastic stuff.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    The Alien scene that is ingrained on my brain is from the original movie where the creature bursts from John Hurt's abdomen.
    Why do these people watch these weird movies? What's wrong with the sheer innocence and beauty of something like Jean de Florette. I must be too old!

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Why do these people watch these weird movies? What's wrong with the sheer innocence and beauty of something like Jean de Florette. I must be too old!
    You're not too old around here anyway
    Back to the photo...I seriously had to look very closely and several times to be sure if it was smoke or in fact wispy fabric arranged around 'her'.....particularly in the original

This is a compliment on your execution, as well as an admission of my ageing eyesight..

Thankyou all for your comments. Rob, I think the Alien tie-in is most appropriate. The image was influenced by the track 'Infinity' from the Hawkwind album PXR5. I do try to produce images that people can weave their own thoughts into. Some work far more do not

Steve, I may indeed try this with a real human (but do not say that in hearing distance of Polly) My main challenge with this was white on white though.

I think I need some lessons on your smoke effects Steve. Would you be prepared to share your secrets with us?
    Raylee, I cheated for convenience with this one. Polly was shot against the snow. The smoke was part of a stock image of smoke inverted and lightened (with curves) to give grey on white ground before being applied to Polly as a layer. It is worth mentioning that Polly also had her curves enhanced to get a very delicate tone.

The layer mode is left at 'normal' for this one and the opacity of the smoke layer wound down to about 25%. The eternal light is a GIMP supernova filter set to mid-blue with maximum spokes. Once flattened the whole lot was subjected to a bit more tonal curve adjustment to taste.

A pretty simple procedure and I will shoot some of my own smoke shots when I can get hold of some incense sticks...whatever happened to those tatty little shops that stank of petuli oil and sold canabis leaf earrings and brass bubble pipes? They always had a good stock of incense sticks.

Real Name
    Elise

Gaakh, patchouli oil. I had my fill of that in the Sixties.

I prefer the second picture -- for me, the light rays, even though subtle, are kind of too much. IMHO, the subtlety of the second picture is more appealing. I do like the border on the first one, though.