Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Creating a more transparent image

Real Name
    Chris

Creating a more transparent image

I shot this from a mulititude of angles and exposures using a Nikon D40. I have seen other photographs similar to this that had a great degree of transparency to the foreground leaf, allowing some of the backgroud to "show" through. How is this accomplished?

Re: Creating a more transparent image

Chris

I moved this from my thread asking for people to post more for C&C. I probably didn't explain very well (I never do). The idea is that you start a new thread in one of the photo commentary sections (such as this one, nature and architecture) and ask for general C&C, or ask a direct specific question, as you have done here.

Thank you for posting this. I hope you don't mind me moving it.

You need to get more light behind the plant so that some of the light comes through, and with it the detail in the structure of the plant. Here is one I did earlier to show you - the explanation of how it was done is under the shot. http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...7623510464833/

Is this what you meant?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Chris

This is not my area of expertise at all, but ....

As well as the quantity and quality of light being used, the density (thickness) of the object you're trying to shine it through (e.g. the leaf) is going to play a major part.

Remember, 'that picture' of the then Lady Diana Spencer wouldn't have been possible if she'd been wearing a tweed skirt.
    copyright - John Minihan

Hi,
    In pp You could obtain very easy these two kind of "transparencies".
    Radu Dinu

Real Name
    Chris

Using another object, I shot a glass "bauble" hanging from a tree branch. This was backlit with a late afternoon sun. I think this is much more successful and I also think it has allowed me to take the suggestions to -ward making better transparency in my photos...granted, it is glass, but I still found it somewhat difficult to shoot.