Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help on my subject

Real Name
    Rendy

Help on my subject

Hey all,

I just started photography a month ago, this is one of them.

I need opinion on improving the cow below..?

any suggestion on making my capture more interesting..?

cow.jpg

Cheers | Rendy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st December 2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Help on my subject

Get a little closer and shoot in a more upward direction which should help in casting the cow in a more prominent position against the hillside. Try to take the fence out of the scene if possible. Also, try framing the cow slightly off right center, lower 1/3 of the frame.

Well, to follow the rule of thirds you'd need to have the cow slightly more to the left. about half an inch, maybe? and maybe the tiniest bit higher. and also, take out the fence if possible. It's a distraction.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Rendy,

The comments above are all valid and I would probably have tied to get closer to the fence in tthe eh foreground so you could shoot over it without making it the barrier it is. At the moment I feel the cow is being squeezed between the foreground fence and the base of the hill. By moving closer you would open up the view so we can concentrate on the cow.

Thanks for posting and keep showing us your images so we can all learn.

Real Name
    Yegor

If it is a panorama(If you have conceived a panorama) - the first answer is actual. If a photo of the cow (as I have understood you) it would be necessary to increase object of a picture. It would be clear, that it is a picture of the cow on the general background.....

Real Name
    Rendy

O I thought i was following the rules of third right on the money.. so I need to lose the distraction, the Fence, and make the cow a more important subject by looking upward (say, 30-40 degree angle above eye level?), place the cow on the outer grid? (going more to the left? and upward?)

@Yegor increase object? you mean closing up on the subject aye? sorry, im new to photography..

and guys, in terms of colour, I get this smudges on the cow back, is that flare?.. I've cleant my lenses and body lenses with special brush of course, but i still get this smudges on the cow picture above... compare to this one below, a rose which I took a few days after, the rose is cleaner..

THanks for replying guys!

Cheers
    Rendy.

Help on my subject

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rendy89 View Post
    and guys, in terms of colour, I get this smudges on the cow back, is that flare?.. I've cleant my lenses and body lenses with special brush of course, but i still get this smudges on the cow picture above... compare to this one below, a rose which I took a few days after, the rose is cleaner..
    I saw that and wondered - it does look like flare.

You didn't shoot this through a car window did you?
    Just the foreground fence has that look about it.

There is no EXIF data, so I cannot tell what camera you have used, or other settings like lens, aperture and shutter speed, etc.

Real Name
    Peter

I had a quick play - hope you don't mind!

Help on my subject

Real Name
    Rendy

@Dave the camera is Nikon D90, with 55-200mm lens, 1/1250 f8, low exposure setting. And, youre right, I shot this from a car window.. is that the cause of smudges?.. btw how do i store the EXIF data? do i need software like capture NX?

@Peter I dont mind peter, it does look better, how did you erase the fence? stamp tool?

Cheers

Real Name
    Troy

one thing's for sure: the image has a heavy green/blue tint. Here's my fix using peter's edit.
    Help on my subject

Real Name
    Peter

@Peter I dont mind peter, it does look better, how did you erase the fence? stamp tool?

I cheated - used "content aware fill", both for the fence and moving the cow

Real Name
    Peter

The colour is certainly a bit of but that will come as you take and process more files. I hope you can see how the the placement of the cow makes it the centre of interest and removing the retrictive fence has generally cleaned up the composition

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rendy89 View Post
    @Dave the camera is Nikon D90, with 55-200mm lens, 1/1250 f8, low exposure setting. And, youre right, I shot this from a car window.. is that the cause of smudges?.. btw how do i store the EXIF data? do i need software like capture NX?
    Hi again,

Thanks for the shooting information.

It isn't so much you need to store it, the camera is almost certainly doing that for you automatically. However, certain PP programs used in certain ways, can easily (and silently) strip it off - as can some storage methods, like uploading at more than 700px to the CiC as an attachment or album image. Capture NX isn't necessary, especially since the damage was likely done after that stage of processing.

I should have been more specific:- "was it shot through the glass of a car window?" - The implication being that maybe it wasn't clean and caused the flare. Obviously, if window was open, unless there was dust or insects between you and the cow, being in a car doesn't explain the flare.

Next question; was it being driven along the road at the time?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Yegor

much better (second try)

Hi Rendy

First, it's a long way between Auckland & Palmy, second I think the smudges are actually reflections on the car window. Third, I don't think this pic is a fair example of your work as composition from a moving vehicle is extremely random to say the least. Fun to do tho - I really enjoy it as you never quite know what you're going to get. Hard to get sharp images too.

Cheers
    Nihia