Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for Donald.

One for Donald.

One bottle, one glass, one studio flash, and about two hours of wasted drinking time.

Apologies - the title of the final shot is Classico #2.

C+C welcome.

Cheers!

One for Donald.

One for Donald.

One for Donald.

One for Donald.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: One for Donald.

Whilst my future identity is being debated here, I see that my colleague has got himself some of the 2008.

The lighting on #1 is great. Gives the subject matter the air of class and sophisitication.

#3 & #4 pick out highlights beautifully. They're very well done but not 'different' to those of us who pour over wine magazines (be interesting to see what others think).

But #2 is the one that, for me, really stands out of the set. The lighting, the composition, the high-key treatment. A very cleverly constructed and crafted image.

ps - Hopefully the contents have now disappeared in the company of a nice pasta dish with a sauce just like mama used to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Hopefully the contents have now disappeared in the company of a nice pasta dish with a sauce just like mama used to make.
    No, I'm like Morse - a beer man.

I prefer #2 as well. It's something different. Thank yoi for the comments.

Real Name
    Kay

Whilst my future identity is being debated here, I see that my colleague has got himself some of the 2008.

The lighting on #1 is great. Gives the subject matter the air of class and sophisitication.

#3 & #4 pick out highlights beautifully. They're very well done but not 'different' to those of us who pour over wine magazines (be interesting to see what others think).

But #2 is the one that, for me, really stands out of the set. The lighting, the composition, the high-key treatment. A very cleverly constructed and crafted image.

ps - Hopefully the contents have now disappeared in the company of a nice pasta dish with a sauce just like mama used to make.
    Excellent comments by our esteemed Laird ....I have nothing further to add

Real Name
    Kay

..one must never appear bossy, I've always felt..

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Y'see that's the problem. My name is mentioned and they get so excited that they hit the send button twice.

EDIT - And then they go back and edit the post to remove the duplicate
    Last edited by Donald; 28th November 2010 at 12:15 AM.

Real Name
    Kay

Y'see that's the problem. My name is mentioned and they get so excited that they hit the send button twice.

EDIT - And then they go back and edit the post to remove the duplicate
    well to appear bossy and silly ...well that just wouldn't do at all

p.s how did you know?
    We usually make a point of never letting you see our mistakes

Real Name
    Raylee

I can't resist commenting. Number 2 is my pick too. Why didn't I think to do that last night with my wine glass?

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    I can't resist commenting.
    Neither can my mother-in-law.

Number 2 is my pick too. Why didn't I think to do that last night with my wine glass?

Well, try it tonight, before you pour. Post your results back here.

You'd do it for the Laird.

I thought you might like to see the original RAW for shot #2.

The glass was on its side on black paper with a black backdrop. I rotated it 90 deg CCW in CS5, then used Silver Efex Pro with the 'Antique Solarization' plugin. Took about 15 mins to shoot and process.

One for Donald.

One for Donald.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I thought you might like to see the original RAW for shot #2.

The glass was on its side on black paper with a black backdrop. I rotated it 90 deg CCW in CS5, then used Silver Efex Pro with the 'Antique Solarization' plugin. Took about 15 mins to shoot and process.

One for Donald.

One for Donald.
    Thanks. Is Silver Efex worth getting?

I thought you had left tannin stains in the glass. Isn't it amazing how PP tricks the eye. I'm having a play now. Mine won't be anywhere near as good as yours Rob but hopefully it'll be interesting.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Y'see, that's amazing. I just don't have that imagination ... even if I had the technical capability, which I don't.

I really should know how to do more than things I do. I seem to do what I do quite well, but I'm not sure if I can call myself a photographer when my range of knowledge and skill is so small.

Thanks. Is Silver Efex worth getting?
    It is very good, but it's also horribly expensive at £160. It just saves a lot of time, and I suppose that because of that you get better results. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ilver+efex+pro

Mine won't be anywhere near as good as yours Rob
    Fail to see why. I just did this one (from the same RAW) using Optik Verve (BW High key option) plugins, which are free. It's Virtual Photographer you need, not the Studio, http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

One for Donald.
    Last edited by carregwen; 28th November 2010 at 09:04 AM.

Y'see, that's amazing. I just don't have that imagination ... even if I had the technical capability, which I don't.

I really should know how to do more than things I do. I seem to do what I do quite well, but I'm not sure if I can call myself a photographer when my range of knowledge and skill is so small.
    My technical skills are actually not all that good. For example, I'm nowhere near Colin in that department, and it shows in his shots. However, I do have a very broad range, and my imagination is.... well you know about that. I try and imagine what something might look like, rather than just looking at a scene or an object and thinking 'Yeah, I can get a good likeness of that'. If you look at all the really good shots (not just on CiC) they all have one thing in common - they show something else other than the subject.

Too much waffle.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I can't believe you guys are spending so much time over an empty glass!!!
    But then I can't argue with the comments thus far though Rob, and as a beer man you would need a vivid imagination I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    I can't believe you guys are spending so much time over an empty glass!!!
    Wanna fill it from your extensive stock?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Wanna fill it from your extensive stock?
    That's the best available option today up here. As I write it is snowing ferociously with pretty high winds that will cause drifting. I ain't going nowhere today!

Real Name
    Raylee

Ok - here goes - but this is embarrassing. My interpretation of a wine glass:

One for Donald.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I ain't going nowhere today!
    I wish we had some snow. My wife wants me to take her Christmas shopping ....... on a Sunday .... and I didn't finish work until midnight!!!

Ok - here goes - but this is embarrassing. My interpretation of a wine glass:

One for Donald.
    Did you use Optikverve?

The shot itself of the glass is fine, just the same as mine. It's not dark enough though. Mine was on black paper with a black backdrop. Try that and for lighting use an angle-poise light on the right side aimed at the glass. Turn the other room lights off, and draw the curtains. You just want the light to pick out the edges and certain parts of the glass. Set the camera to manual otherwise you will get a normal exposure. The dark areas of mine (most of the shot) get converted to whites in the Optikverve or Silver Efex plugin. That's what creates the high-key look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast