Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What does "in camera noise reduction" do if one saves in RAW?

Real Name
    Dr Len Martin

What does "in camera noise reduction" do if one saves in RAW?

Using my Panasonic DMC FZ35, I now routinely take everything in RAW.

The camera has an "image quality" setting for "noise reduction" with settings: +2, +1, 0, -1,-2.

I have taken identical shots at various low ISO settings (80, 100, 200) and various noise reduction settings, but can see little or no difference in apparent noise levels when I open each image in Photoshop Elements.

I have not been able to discover from Panasonic, whether these in camera noise reduction facilities actually apply to RAW images.

From comments I have seen in various reviews regarding the Panasonic FZ's noise problems, I suspect that in camera noise reduction only applies to JPEGs.

What might be the truth?

Help!

And, in anticipation, thanks.

Len

Re: What does "in camera noise reduction" do if one saves in RAW?

I have always thought that a RAW file is just that - a data dump of what the camera captured. I suppose with some RAW software packages they may note from the EXIF what the NR was in-camera, and apply it to the RAW image in the PP stage, but I'm not sure. The NR in CS5 is much improved over CS4, and I always prefer to do it at PP stage. The problem with in-camera NR is that it can make the images soft. It also does that in RAW and JPEG processing, of course, but you have more control over it in RAW, which is the whole point of shooting in RAW.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: What does "in camera noise reduction" do if one saves in RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Len Martin View Post
    I have not been able to discover from Panasonic, whether these in camera noise reduction facilities actually apply to RAW images.

From comments I have seen in various reviews regarding the Panasonic FZ's noise problems, I suspect that in camera noise reduction only applies to JPEGs.
    Hi Len,

If you don't use the camera manufacturer's software, because you're using ACR in Elements, then I'm sure that is correct - but that is a good thing as Rob says, though.

Using my Panasonic DMC FZ35, I now routinely take everything in RAW.
    Good

The camera has an "image quality" setting for "noise reduction" with settings: +2, +1, 0, -1,-2.

I have taken identical shots at various low ISO settings (80, 100, 200) and various noise reduction settings, but can see little or no difference in apparent noise levels when I open each image in Photoshop Elements.
    Unless you are viewing at 100% or above; serious pixel peeeping, you almost certainly won't detect a difference from the small iso changes, especially if there is any noise reduction being applied by Element's ACR, that is hideen away on the Detail tab and most people stay on the Basic tab.

Sorry, that's a bit of a cryptic answer, ask me to expand if necesssary.

Cheers,