Thread: American & Bridal Veil Falls Illumination

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

American & Bridal Veil Falls Illumination

This is a 3-shot HDR image showing the American and Bridal Veil Falls at night.

Real Name
    John

Re: American & Bridal Veil Falls Illumination

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Ian

Given that the American Falls are often considered less impressive than the nearby Niagara, that certainly looks a lot more interesting than when I was last there, even if it demands the use of HDR.

I might have been tempted by a tighter crop to create more of a panorama, and losing some of the less interesting sky, but YMMV. The descent of the lights on the right of the shot towards the water being a visual 'draw' for me.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Given that the American Falls are often considered less impressive than the nearby Niagara,
    There are three sets of waterfalls that make up Niagara Falls; The American Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls and the Horseshoe (or Canadian) Falls. I have found that most people tend to associate Niagara Falls with the American Falls because they tend to be the most visible. The Horseshoe Falls are generally partially obscured by a veil of mist, so are less attractive to some. Some 90% of the water flowing goes over Niagara Falls flows over the Horseshoe Falls.

This is a shot of the Horseshoe Falls:

Last edited by Manfred M; 7th August 2018 at 07:55 PM.

Real Name
    les norman

Spectacular love this

Real Name
    John

HDR used to good effect Manfred. Sadly we only managed a daytime visit and the photography is much less impressive. How do they illuminate the falls, do you know? I wondered whether this was external floodlights or whether lights had been introduced behind the wall of water?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    HDR used to good effect Manfred. Sadly we only managed a daytime visit and the photography is much less impressive. How do they illuminate the falls, do you know? I wondered whether this was external floodlights or whether lights had been introduced behind the wall of water?
    There are LED lights installed at various locations on the Canadian side; these were updated from more traditional halogen lights about 1-1/2 years ago. If you look at the very bottom of the second image you cah see a blue streak on the water from near the right bottom edge of the frame. That is light from one of the installations.