Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Eye-Fi memory cards and ad-hoc networks...

Real Name
    Just call me David.

Eye-Fi memory cards and ad-hoc networks...

Has anyone tried, or is now using an Eye-Fi memory card in their camera?

I recently purchased such a card for my Canon 7D and it works fine using a wireless router, but I want to use it with a laptop where the laptop itself is a hotspot.

My theory is that if the laptop (actually a netbook) is running an ad-hoc network then I can transfer picture files directly to the netbook in the field as backup and extra storage. The Eye-Fi card in the camera is 4 GB, but the netbook has a 250 GB drive plus a 32 GB memory card plugged into it.

I also understand that these newer Canon cameras can be operated remotely via a wired USB connection using the provided Canon software. This would allow, for one thing, a computer based intervalometer, but other possibilities are endless, with the ability to view what the camera is looking at on the laptop screen for example.

Anyone?

Real Name
    Hans

Re: Eye-Fi memory cards and ad-hoc networks...

Quote Originally Posted by David deSousa View Post

I also understand that these newer Canon cameras can be operated remotely via a wired USB connection using the provided Canon software. This would allow, for one thing, a computer based intervalometer, but other possibilities are endless, with the ability to view what the camera is looking at on the laptop screen for example.

Anyone?
    Interesting. I was not aware of it's existence.
    On the net I could not find something that allows you to remotely control the camera. But if that is possible then it would be just great in studio environments. Much more convenient then shooting tethered.

Real Name
    Tim

If you have an iPhone, iPod touch or an iPad, there is this:

http://www.ononesoftware.com/product...camera-remote/

Real Name
    Hans

another good reason to ask an iPad for st. Klaas.
    Will carefully check with my M.o.f. will be a tough case I'm afraid.

So glad to hear you have the Eye-Fi card working with the 7D. I haven't had the same luck yet. Which adapter card are you using?

Thanks,
    Tony

So glad to hear you have the Eye-Fi card working with the 7D. I haven't had the same luck yet. Which Eye-Fi card and which adapter card are you using?

Thanks,
    Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by David deSousa View Post
    Has anyone tried, or is now using an Eye-Fi memory card in their camera?

I recently purchased such a card for my Canon 7D and it works fine using a wireless router, but I want to use it with a laptop where the laptop itself is a hotspot.

My theory is that if the laptop (actually a netbook) is running an ad-hoc network then I can transfer picture files directly to the netbook in the field as backup and extra storage. The Eye-Fi card in the camera is 4 GB, but the netbook has a 250 GB drive plus a 32 GB memory card plugged into it.

Anyone?

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

Quote Originally Posted by hansm View Post
    Interesting. I was not aware of it's existence.
    On the net I could not find something that allows you to remotely control the camera. But if that is possible then it would be just great in studio environments. Much more convenient then shooting tethered.
    Here is a desk top image of the remote control. It is located within the EOS utility program. The camera has to be connected to the computer to see it.
    Eye-Fi memory cards and ad-hoc networks...