Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flexible DOF calculator in Excel?

Flexible DOF calculator in Excel?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but found the whole site most useful! In particular I like the "flexible DOF calculator". In fact, I like it so much I'd like to take it with me but have trouble accessing it on my handheld. However, i do have Excel Mobile so I was wondering if there is an Excel version of the same calculator. If not, perhaps someone could let me know the formulae and I could build my own....

Cheers

Re: Flexible DOF calculator in Excel?

Hey Mikey,

The code for the DOF-Calculator page is all in javascript. See https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...calculator2.js - with apologies to Sean if he doesn't want his code ripped off. Maybe post your Excel spreadsheet back to this forum when you are done?

HTH,
    Graham
    Last edited by McQ; 12th January 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: updated link

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dendrophile View Post
    Hey Mikey,

The code for the DOF-Calculator page is all in javascript. See https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...calculator2.js - with apologies to Sean if he doesn't want his code ripped off. Maybe post your Excel spreadsheet back to this forum when you are done?

HTH,
    Graham
    Yes please do someone post an excel (or even better numbers) version as I have never found one that works cleanly and it would be so useful to be able to do nice clear tables for each of ones lenses
    Last edited by McQ; 12th January 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: updated link

Well,

I've finished my Excel spreadsheet. I can't seem to attach XLS files to this post. So, if you are interested, let me know your email address and I can send it directly.

It has two sheets, one emulating the "Flexible DOF calculator and another one for field of view. I don't know how to set up fancy drop down list boxes so it's hard coded for 1.5x crop factor sensors (which is what I have!)

I hope you find this useful. I don't feel inclined to produce sheets for various DOF ranges for various lenses at various apertures as this would be far too cumbersome to carry around. I find that knowing the precise DOF for a given aperture/focal length is not much help in real life, but the calculator lets me get a few ideas and a general feel for the settings I might roughly use before heading out with my camera. From there, I can adjust depending on the final result I require. (Eg, I discovered f2.8 at close range and 50mm gives a punishingly small DOF ill-suited to indoor shots of our children, who just can't sit still.....)

When I have time, I'll try to work out how to upload it to my ntl homepage and post a link.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey2000 View Post
    It has two sheets, one emulating the "Flexible DOF calculator and another one for field of view. I don't know how to set up fancy drop down list boxes so it's hard coded for 1.5x crop factor sensors (which is what I have!)
    Hi Mikey2000,
    I might be able to help with the drop lists idea for different crop factors, etc.

Regards, Dave
    There is an e-mail link is in my profile if you click 'rustyshutter71'
    (I think putting it here might result in a lot of spam if the 'bots see it!)
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th December 2008 at 03:41 PM.

Rustyshutter71,

Thanks for the offer. I used to be an excel ace, but it's been such a long time since I tried anything fancy (MS Office 2000 at least!)

With thanks to Sean, I can now attach .xls files, so here is my little DOF/FOV wonder.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Thanks, got it, but my brain works best in the morning, I'll have a look tomorrow

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mikey2000 View Post

With thanks to Sean, I can now attach .xls files, so here is my little DOF/FOV wonder.

Cheers
    I have downloaded and immediately realised I am 10 years behind on spreadsheet work, but had a brief play, but will probably be after Christmas before I can do what I want, ie expand it into a table I can print and carry.

Meanwhile I have found an apple widget
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...alculator.html
    ....and surprise, surprise it comes up with slightly different values. I think this is due to taking eyesight into account in yours and Sean's and print size in yours whereas the widget makes other assumptions

And although my MacBook is pretty portable, it still gets left in the car when I go walkabout/shootabout

Chris