Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some feedback please...

Real Name
    Mike Wilson

Some feedback please...

Here's a few photos of my favourite things in life, my car and my wife(not necessarily in that order ).

The first I did in grayscale, resized and unsharpened. and thought it turned out NTB.

Some feedback please...

My beautiful wife of 20 years. Only resized with a touch of colour enhancement. Not sharpened yet.

Some feedback please...

My car again w/slight colour, resized and 'unsharpened'.

Some feedback please...

and lastly the neighbourhood.

Some feedback please...

there are more on my Flickr account( see signature).

All comments and constructive criticism's welcome.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Some feedback please...

Hi Mike,

I see your wife drove and still hasn't got the hang of parallel parking

(Dave ducks for cover)

Only kidding!

Nice car, nice wife (not kidding)

'unsharpened'
    If they were jpgs, they will have been sharpened in camera.
    If RAW, for contrasty subjects, at this kind of scale, and only 700px, you might/can just get away with it.
    I think "the neighbourhood" definitely isn't as good as it could be.

#1 I think I'd have cropped a bit of the right hand side, there's not much going on there, not too much, maybe just to remove the leaf.

#2 Your wife is rather centrally placed, cropping on left to remove the part of next bench would solve this, leaving the grass between her trainer and the edge of frame. Good exposure.

#3 has the blown sunlit grass, but otherwise works, again, me being me, I might trim 5% off the top, I like the depth provided by the foreground.

#4 Good composition, there's a lot in the picture, but for me it works, it is interesting to visually wander around looking out the details at different distances.

Hope that helps (and isn't too cheeky for a new member),

Have I said "welcome to the CiC forums"?
    If not, I just did - welcome,

Real Name
    Rick

Welcome, Mike. I like the compositions, and generally agree with Dave's points (as usual). I like the pose in #2, although the fingers of her left hand are a trifle distracting. One thought I had is to try a pretty different crop of #3, cutting the foreground grass entirely. I find that the grass stops my eye before I get to the car, and forms two points of interest. If you crop it at about where that line in the asphalt hits the right-hand edge, I think it draws attention to the car better.

#1 is my favorite, I think: lots of nice texture.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Mike
    Welcome from me - I really like the last one, I can feel myself wandering around the village.
    I maybe would have included a wee bit more of the grass in the forground or not had it at all....it sort of has a 'hedge your bets' feel about it.

Also it seems we have a duplicate in our member database amongst us, a member called micwil is also a Mike Wilson, so you should already feel at home

Real Name
    Mike Wilson

Dave, Rick and Kay.

Thanks for the fb. I truly see what each of you have mentioned and am hoping to try to replicate that in the next few days, however that might be tight as this weekend is setting up Christmas.

Dave, what is meant by 700px? This is new to me. Also, as for my wife's driving ability, the curbed wheel is on the other side. All wheels are actually being redone in the next month or so.

Rick, definitely going to try cropping the grass out. Just tarmac and car. Good stuff. My wife's fingers? Well it wasn't posed, so who knows???

Kay. That's exactly what I was shooting for, but do see what you're saying as well. There are a few more shots of the colours of the shops in my Flickr account. As for another Mike Wilson, it's just a name as there's only one of me. And my wife is thankful for that. Not sure what she means by it, but oh well.

Again, thanks all.

A

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by mwrmt View Post
    Dave, what is meant by 700px? This is new to me.
    Ooops, my mistake, I had assumed (me bad) that these were 700px on longest side (and hosted here), but I see they're hosted at Flickr and they are 640px, so no wonder you didn't understand, sorry. Just stick "640" where I said "700".

All wheels are actually being redone in the next month or so.
    Times like this when I'm glad I have unfashionable 'tall' tyres

As for another Mike Wilson, it's just a name as there's only one of me. And my wife is thankful for that. Not sure what she means by it, but oh well.
    Your gonna fit in fine here

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mike Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Ooops, my mistake, I had assumed (me bad) that these were 700px on longest side (and hosted here), but I see they're hosted at Flickr and they are 640px, so no wonder you didn't understand, sorry. Just stick "640" where I said "700".

Times like this when I'm glad I have unfashionable 'tall' tyres

Your gonna fit in fine here

Cheers,
    Thanks for clearing that up. Didn't even think of that.