Thread: The document contains unknown data

The document contains unknown data

Hi folks!
    I have been working with Adobe Photoshop document. Yesterday without thinking I stupidly turned off the computer without saving the file. Now when I try to open it an error occurs:
    This document contains unknown data which will be discarded to keep layers editable.
    Please help! Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated,
    Garry

Real Name
    Ted

Re: The document contains unknown data

Quote Originally Posted by garrym View Post
    Hi folks!
    I have been working with Adobe Photoshop document. Yesterday without thinking I stupidly turned off the computer without saving the file. Now when I try to open it an error occurs:
    This document contains unknown data which will be discarded to keep layers editable.
    Please help! Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated,
    Garry
    What type is this "Adobe Photoshop document"? e.g. raw, DNG, PSD, JPEG, TIFF, etc.

If raw, the original should still exist unchanged and maybe discarding it's XMP side-car file and starting again would work.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

This type of data corruption error can occur if the computer is turned off while the file is being written to disk. The data can become corrupted. Typically Photoshop document (.psd) files are fairly large, so they do take some time to save, especially if it is a complex edit with lots of layers.

I would suggest that you follow the instructions and see what happens. Best case, most of your work is there and you might have to redo some of it. Worst case is that you get to start your edit over again, unless you have saved a backup file.

.PSD format document

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by garrym View Post
    .PSD format document
    Thanks - and the original document e.g. raw or JPEG? Either one still on your HD?

Trying to figure out if you're trying to avoid re-doing from start or if you have lost all versions of the image including the one on the camera memory card.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 9th April 2018 at 08:29 PM.