Thread: Red dragonfly head

Real Name
    Bill

Red dragonfly head

One or two dragon flies have been flitting around, So far the score for catching one in flight is dragonflies 10 (or more), me 0. So here is an 'opposite' namely a shot of the head of one at rest.

Red dragonfly head

C&C welcome of course, but I have 10 days left to get the elusive in-flight shot (before it is me that is in-flight on the way home).

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Red dragonfly head

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    One or two dragon flies have been flitting around, So far the score for catching one in flight is dragonflies 10 (or more), me 0. So here is an 'opposite' namely a shot of the head of one at rest.

Red dragonfly head

C&C welcome of course, but I have 10 days left to get the elusive in-flight shot (before it is me that is in-flight on the way home).
    here's a thought: how about taking a video? Astrophotographers use the technique to capture hundreds of frames in a hurry and then run it through software that allows them to pick only the frames they like.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    here's a thought: how about taking a video? Astrophotographers use the technique to capture hundreds of frames in a hurry and then run it through software that allows them to pick only the frames they like.
    Now there's an idea - thanks Brian I'll give it a go. Mind you, the limiting step is keeping the little XX's in the frame ...

Real Name
    Nandakumar

After seeing many excellent works of yours, this is not up to the mark i am afraid

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Bill

Nanda, I wouldn't disagree and very much appreciate your candour! It was more of an experimental/making something from nothing shot. I have taken about 20 conventional shots of these dragonflies in the last few days and as mentioned in the OP have been trying, without success, to get an in-flight image. This head shot was framed as a contrasting perspective.

John: thanks, it wasn't the easiest capture in regard to the light and also the subject fly has quite badly damaged wings which made it a less than ideal candidate for a "pretty insect image".