Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Good Manual/Book for Canon 40D?

Real Name
    Sarah

Good Manual/Book for Canon 40D?

Hello,

I'm looking for a good intro book or manual (other than the user manual) to help me learn more about my Canon 40D (which I won't be acquiring until Christmas, but still want to learn now).

Any suggestions? Has anyone ever used a Magic Lantern book or Wiley Digital Field Guide?

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Good Manual/Book for Canon 40D?

Sarah

I have no experience of any other publication other than the user manual.

I can't see why anyone would want or need anything else. Study the user manual (mine is now so thumbed that the pages are falling out - it stays in my bag and I still consult it from time-to-time). It tells you all that you need to know if you take the time to study it. And then go out and start shooting lots and lots of photographs.

I have this one for my 50D, and it's actually pretty good. Covers all the controls in an easy to read style, and explains some of the basics of photography. The bad news is that he doesn't seem to have one for the 40D.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-50D-Sn...9600098&sr=1-1

Here's the Amazon list for 40d Canon, but I'm not familiar with any of them. Others may be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...89600535&enc=1

I think the ones you mention are listed there.

I agree with Donald. I read the manual through once. I some times go back to it if there is something I can't quite remember but that does not often happen. In fact at this point in time I don't know where it is. I got to know the camera by using it. The camera needs to become part of you. It is your third eye. You can only do this by using it. Our brains respond far better from making the mistakes and practical experience. We do not respond so well to third party experience.

I suggest you learn the principles of the exposure triangle and then when you get your camera apply this principles if you get stuck with which controls give you mastery of exposure....refer to the manual. You cannot learn to drive a car by studying the owners manual

Real Name
    David

Hi Sarah - Not for the first time do I disagree with some of our fellow members. I find the manual for the Canon 40D very difficult to follow unless you already know about EOS systems. There are two books that I would recommend, the one specifically on the 40D covers all the same ground as in the manual, but with explanations and tips. The other is a more general book about Canon DSLR photography.

Charlotte K Lowrie, "Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide", Wiley. 2008, ISBN:978-0470-26004-9;
    Christopher Grey, "Canon DSLR The Ultimate Photographer's Guide", Focal Press, 2008, ISBN:978-0-240-52040-7

Enjoy your camera when it comes and happy reading.

David

Real Name
    Richard

The Magic Lantern Guide is specifically aimed at the 40D and pretty well duplicates the manual for that camera. I bought the Magic Lantern Guide because I had misplaced the Canon 40D Manual. Sure, I could have downloaded a manual from the Internet but, it would have cost me almost as much to print it out and I would have been stuck with an unbound sheaf of paper. The Guide is not all that expensive and is a good substitute for the manual.

The Magic Lantern Guide is pretty easy to read and the small size makes it easy to carry. I also like the tear out pocket card which I keep in my camera bag. The pocket card helps me remember some of the parameters which I don't always use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-Ma...9667773&sr=1-4

On the other hand, the Digital Field Guide is more comprehensive and seems to explain the various parameters of this camera better; especially for a photographer unfamiliar with digital photography in general and the EOS system in particular. It contains a lot of general information on digital photography as well as specific information on the 40D. I don't have the 40D version, but I bought a Digital Field Guide for the 30D at my local library's used book sale for one dollar ($ USD). This book is a bit larger in size than the Magic lantern Guide but I would say that it provides more information than the Magic Lantern Guide and or the camera manual. If you have the manual, this is the book that I would recommend to both supplement that manual and to provide a basic introduction to digital photography and to photography in general...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-Di...9668189&sr=1-1

I agree that you cannot learn to drive a car by studying the owner's manual but, it certainly helps to have the manual when you want to accomplish actions that you have never before tried or have tried infrequently; such as accessing the spare tire...

BTW: I seem to need to look in the manual twice yearly when I need to change my radio clock to conform to our Daylight Savings Time.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd December 2010 at 01:13 AM.

Real Name
    Diane

I have the Digital Field Guide and the Magic Lantern Guide for my 40D and they augment the manual very nicely. They also give you tips and tricks that the manual does not.