Russell

Small Splash

Hi, Taken today on Rhodes Island Greece,
    Part of the eastern coast.
    Canon 40D.
    C&C welcome.

photo-5a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carregwen; 9th November 2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: made image full size

Real Name
    David

Re: Small Splash

Hi Russell - Apart from making me feel a bit sea-sick and a bit envious of your visit to Rhodes, there seems to be two issues with the image. First, the horizon is not horizontal. If you've not come across this before, it is a very common problem that we all suffer from. I've even seen a commercial print by a reputable Scottish photographer for sale with a sloping horizon. When I pointed it out he got a bit mad, but I think no-one else had had the temerity to point it out. It's easily remedied with the rotate tool in your software. You may then have to crop to square up the image.

The second issue is that there appears to be vignetting at the corners; at least to my eyes the corners look darker. If that's not intentional maybe the problem lies with a lens hood or inappropriate focal length. Again cropping could do the trick or a mask to lighten the corners.

There might also be a case for cropping right in on the exploding wave or making a 2:1 format showing rock, waves and sea. Just suggestions.

Ciao (no -that's Italian not Greek!)

David

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi Russell - Apart from making me feel a bit sea-sick and a bit envious of your visit to Rhodes, there seems to be two issues with the image. First, the horizon is not horizontal. If you've not come across this before, it is a very common problem that we all suffer from. I've even seen a commercial print by a reputable Scottish photographer for sale with a sloping horizon. When I pointed it out he got a bit mad, but I think no-one else had had the temerity to point it out. It's easily remedied with the rotate tool in your software. You may then have to crop to square up the image.

The second issue is that there appears to be vignetting at the corners; at least to my eyes the corners look darker. If that's not intentional maybe the problem lies with a lens hood or inappropriate focal length. Again cropping could do the trick or a mask to lighten the corners.

There might also be a case for cropping right in on the exploding wave or making a 2:1 format showing rock, waves and sea. Just suggestions.

Ciao (no -that's Italian not Greek!)

David
    Hi, Thank you for the input. I live on Rhodes not a visit. I thought I had made the horizon straight in PP, and the vignetting was indeed intentional.

Real Name
    David

Here's a very quick and dirty attempt with the horizon rotated by -0.7 degrees, I haven't done the cropping correctly but it's just the idea.

Small Splash

I've also carried out some local contrast enhancement (LCE) with settings in the Unsharp Mask of Radius 30 and Amount 0.3 (in the Gimp).

Sorry, I had forgotten you lived on Rhodes

David