Thread: Totally baffled

Totally baffled

Hi guys, I just moved a bunch of images from a cell phone to my friends computer, something that I haven't done before. It appeared that they transferred fine but now I can't find them. They are not in the photos folder as I would have expected......HELP! Any ideas for finding them??? The computer is running on windows that's any help. Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Robbie.

Re: Totally baffled

Search the drive (Probably C) for the the file names/numbers of the images. You should still have that info on your phone.

Real Name
    Robbie.

Thanks Rob. I will give this a try on Friday when I see my friend again.

Real Name
    roy

Rita Have a look in documents and one drive ( assuming windows 10 )
    Roy
    Last edited by Rent; 11th January 2018 at 09:02 AM.

Real Name
    John

Repeat your uploading method and see where the files go.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Repeat your uploading method and see where the files go.
    I have to do this from time to time. My laptop has a mind of it's own sometimes.

Thanks Roy, I did look in documents but I did not look in one drive. I will give it a try.

Mark and John, when I connected the phone to the computer via USB and started the upload there was a message on the screen that told me how many images had been transferred. But, I really didn't see a anything that told me where they were going. I assumed, not a good thing to do, that they would be put into Photos. I will see my friend on Friday again so I will redo the upload and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Real Name
    Dave

Have you checked the Downloads folder? If I don't specify where to put things I think they end up in the Downloads folder.

If they aren't there a quick search for files of the same format (I'm guessing .jpg) will, again guessing, find a lot of files but sorting them by date order should help you pinpoint them.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Rita - look up the file name of one of the files on your phone. Go to the MS Windows search function and enter that file name, including the file extension (i.e. .jpg) there. Windows should search the entire computer and when it finds that file, note down where it is (the directory). All of the other files will likely be found in the same directory.

Thanks Dave and Manfred for the further suggestions. I will work on this issue tomorrow.

Real Name
    Martin

Yeah each computer seems to have it's own idea of where it wants to put files you have downloaded or transferred. Manfred has it nailed. I can't think of the number of times I have downloaded a file and have it disappear.

(And hello from the other side of the Fraser)

Thanks for your help everyone. Re-transferred the images last night and there they were showing up like they were supposed to.

Martin, hello from this side of the Fraser.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Thanks for your help everyone. Re-transferred the images last night and there they were showing up like they were supposed to.

Martin, hello from this side of the Fraser.
    So the question is, do you have a set of duplicate images hiding somewhere on the computer?

Not sure which version of Windows you are using, but it usually uses a default folder to download files and that is often respected by other programs. If you open up Windows Explorer, on the left pane, in the list of Favorites you should see an item called Downloads. I would look in this folder first.

If you want to change the default location for any of the Favorites items, you can Right-Click on the item, go to Properties and select to add a new folder. Staying in that pane you can change the default to your newly selected locations and even move existing items to that.

Good question Manfred but I don't think so. Before I re-transfered the images I did a couple of searches with the file names as you suggested. Neither search turned up anything, the message on the screen said that nothing was found. When I re-transfered the images and then did another search the images showed up in the downloads folder. When I checked the folder there was only one set in there.

Hi Trev, it is my friends cell phone images that I was putting on her computer. I believe that it is Windows 10 but I am really not familiar with any of the windows operating systems as I always use a Mac. Which is why I was so dense on the situation Thanks to the help on here the job is done and she is happy.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Hi Trev, it is my friends cell phone images that I was putting on her computer. I believe that it is Windows 10 but I am really not familiar with any of the windows operating systems as I always use a Mac. Which is why I was so dense on the situation Thanks to the help on here the job is done and she is happy.
    I never use dedicated programs for that. Just copy and past to the directory you want and eventually create a new directory. Keep control of it yourself. The easiest way.

George