Thread: Baryta Paper

Real Name
    John

Baryta Paper

I started this thread in response to comments on Baryta paper made in Donald's Print 52 2018 - Project 52 Print - Donald MacKenzie. I didn't want to hijack that thread so in response to Rudi's comments in post #3 on my statement:

Originally Posted by Shadowman
    ......Canson Baryta Photographique ....thinking it would be similar to any semi gloss paper.......
    Let me first say that paper choices are very subjectif !!!
    I do not know exactly what you mean by "similar to any semi gloss paper..."

I meant Baryta has the look and feel of a semi gloss paper, Epson's semi gloss has a similar brightness (93% ISO) and the coatings on each give the same output in my opinion.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 6th January 2018 at 03:55 PM.

Real Name
    roy

Re: Baryta Paper

?
    Roy

Real Name
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Rent View Post
    ?
    Roy
    "Baryta is a special barium sulphate coating that is traditionally applied to a fibre photographic paper base prior to coating with the emulsion layers. The technical benefits of the Baryta layer include greater detail and definition, extended tonal range and excellent archival properties."

Real Name
    roy

I actually know what Baryta paper is. When I posted my comment, the only thing on the original post was the word Baryta
    Roy

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Baryta was the standard paper when I first got into photography; in reality Baryta and fiber based papers were pretty well synonymous.

Then came the RC (Resin Coated) that had some advantages over the Baryta papers; reduced wash time and consistent gloss surfaces without the need to use a ferrotype process to "bake in" a glossy surface. They tended to lie flat and did not curl as much. This certainly sped up the end-to-end process in the wet darkroom.

With the more modern papers, I'm not convinced that in current context Baryta is anything more than marketing hype. The Baryta coating had two main purposes;

1. To keep the chemicals from leaching into the paper fibre. This decreased wash times and thereby improved image stability as residual chemicals do impact the archival properties of the print. This would not apply to the modern ink jet process; and

2. Acted as a brightener by reflecting more light back through the emulsion layer. This would still be an advantage today, although OBAs (Optical Brightening Agent) work better.

Real Name
    John

Quite a few store chains (Target, Walgreens) have started offering printing papers, most aren't worth purchasing as they don't provide ICC profiles and can produce undesirable color casts. I've experimented with a few other than Epson, tried Canson (Baryta, Velin and Aquarelle Rag) and just purchased Moab Somerset Velvet. Both produced acceptable results but some types can be more expensive than Epson papers if purchased in bulk quantity. Have yet to try Red River or Hanhemuhle only because they aren't available locally, I might order a sample pack but so far happy with what I've already found.

Real Name
    Allan Short

John with Hanhemuhle order two sample packs as you only get a couple of sheets and you really need more, the 305 rag is a sweet stock for B&W and soft colour images.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    John with Hanhemuhle order two sample packs as you only get a couple of sheets and you really need more, the 305 rag is a sweet stock for B&W and soft colour images.

Cheers: Allan
    Hi Allan,

Thanks for the info, 210-350 gsm seems to be the most compatible for me.