Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete EXIF data in LR or other editing program

Real Name
    John

Re: Complete EXIF data in LR or other editing program

Catherine,

If we look at two of the most recent questions you've posted and combine it with your latest perhaps we can see what you are looking for in your own exif data. I typically start off each photo excursion with my camera set to AF-C, I might switch to AF-S if I'm trying some particular experiment or if I'm shooting in AUTO Mode but otherwise its AF-C, manual mode and sometimes aperture or shutter priority. I prefer shutter priority or manual as I'm usually targeting fast shutterspeeds for birding, sports, street and sometimes handheld architecture. Looking at your exif and what worked and didn't also can sometimes benefit from knowing if your focus indicator hit the mark. I was recently trying to analyze an image where the main subject was soft yet other people in the shot looked well focused, focus indicator showed that main subject was within the focus brackets and would've continued racking my brain until I noticed I was in 3D tracking mode, the slightest movement by main subject probably through the focus system off by a hair.

Aperture Priority for Wildlife Photography
    If Only I Could Focus ...
    https://photographylife.com/dslr-aut...odes-explained

Real Name
    Catherine

Thank you again everyone. I am clear now on my next step and have ideas for how to proceed for the next few steps after this too.

John - My camera has AF-F and AF-S and I don't know how that compares to your AF-C and AF-S. Usually when I am shooting birds I am in Continuous Shooting H and with that my focus is set on the first shot. As far as I can tell, that means that it must use AF-S regardless of which I use as a setting. (I should have realized that it is easy to see from my pictures when I shot in a burst. Before I thought that I needed to re-focus between shots so I wasn't using the burst mode properly.)

I've experimented with different AF Area Modes and for birds in flight I find that Target Finding works best. But I keep experimenting.

I've attached two photos because they are, for me, very encouraging. I couldn't get these shots before joining your community. You folks are great!

Complete EXIF data in LR or other editing program

Complete EXIF data in LR or other editing program

Real Name
    John

I have the earlier version of your particular model (P90) and I think the closest preset to AF-C would be the sports mode on your camera, this will put you in continuous mode but it is possible that it will also put you in a hybrid mode where the camera switches between AFC/AFS based on the particular scene and what the camera's focusing mode considers the subject of interest. Do you use the LCD or the viewfinder when composing your shots? I ask because the focus mode also changes, the LCD uses contrast detection while the viewfinder uses phase detection.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...-autofocus.htm

Real Name
    Catherine

Thanks John, I didn’t know about this disctinction but now I’m reading up about it. I use the viewfinder, so that should be faster to focus. It’s not a great viewfinder but now I will stick with it. And, I will try the sports mode - the bird watching mode used too slow a speed for what I was going for.

Real Name
    Arjun Gupta

Hi Catherine,
    I don't know the settings for a P900. I have a D800 and when I shoot in Live View Mode I have 2 focussing options - AFS and AFF. AFS is for still shots, AFF for subjects in motion. I use Live View only for movies and use the AFF mode.
    Arjun

Real Name
    Catherine

Hi Arjun, Thank you for your comments. I just went to the reference manual for the P900 and it lists AF-S and AF-F as the choices for still shots, and it says that AF-F is the default setting. In AF-F, “The camera continues focussing even when the shutter-release button is not pressed halfway.” (P76 of the Refernece Section).

I just took two photos with the only difference in them being one was in AF-S and the other in AF-F. I can’t see a difference.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineA View Post
    Hi Arjun, Thank you for your comments. I just went to the reference manual for the P900 and it lists AF-S and AF-F as the choices for still shots, and it says that AF-F is the default setting. In AF-F, “The camera continues focussing even when the shutter-release button is not pressed halfway.” (P76 of the Refernece Section).

I just took two photos with the only difference in them being one was in AF-S and the other in AF-F. I can’t see a difference.
    The difference is "viewfinder photography" and "live view photography".
    http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/basics/16/03_1.htm

George

Real Name
    Catherine

Thank you George!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12