Thread: Rituals in Varanasi. C&C Welcome

Real Name
    Raj

Rituals in Varanasi. C&C Welcome

Hi, going forward on my photography venture I stopped and clicked another shot. Can you please review it and let me know what exactly is missing for it to make it much better?

It is a common practice in Varanasi, India as a part of hindu rituals.

Please provide your views and suggestion with composition, frame, crops.

Thank You

PS : Please click on the image for lightbox screen view (Highly recommended)

Rituals in Varanasi. C&C Welcome

Real Name
    John

Re: Rituals in Varanasi. C&C Welcome

Raj,

Nicely framed and captured. As this is a ritual I doubt you can ask the participant to alter any of the elements to fit your vision, otherwise I might suggest moving the leaves at the bottom of the image. You've achieved a good control of the light, flames, and shadows. all it needs is a frame.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Raj,

Nicely framed and captured. As this is a ritual I doubt you can ask the participant to alter any of the elements to fit your vision, otherwise I might suggest moving the leaves at the bottom of the image. You've achieved a good control of the light, flames, and shadows. all it needs is a frame.
    Thanks a lot for your kind review and suggestion

Basically OK, Raj. A tricky exposure has been handled well enough. Focus is acceptable although just starting to lose sharpness on the bangles and upper arm.

Composition works OK, although this is looking down on the scene from directly above and I wonder if shooting from a lower angle might have given more 'depth' to the scene and shown a little more of the sides of those pots?

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Basically OK, Raj. A tricky exposure has been handled well enough. Focus is acceptable although just starting to lose sharpness on the bangles and upper arm.

Composition works OK, although this is looking down on the scene from directly above and I wonder if shooting from a lower angle might have given more 'depth' to the scene and shown a little more of the sides of those pots?
    Thanks a lot for your kind review and suggestion. I will surely work on your suggestions whenever i will shooting such scene.

Real Name
    Ole

Raj, the stalk of the leaf is too prominent, I would clone it out. I also agree with John regarding the leaves on the bottom of the frame. Perhaps increase contrast a tad (perhaps not).
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    George

I should try to compose that image so that it would like that that hand is from the photographer, more to the bottom. I think that would give more interaction between image and observer.
    I just tried it by rotating the image 90 degrees. Have a look at it.

George
    Last edited by george013; 6th December 2017 at 07:27 AM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I agree with the others about cloning out the leaves at the edge and the end of the long stalk, but i would actually rotate the image so the hand is coming down from the top of the photograph. Looking at it the other way makes me feel i am toppling over onto the pots !

Rotating the image that way would work better with the angle of flame and the visible sides to the bowls.

Very interesting thread, Raj. Unusually, I have nothing to add. I would have been very happy to have captured this image.