Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Does this work?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Does this work?

Over a candle-lit dinner for two, Jeremy slids a diamond ring onto Victoria's finger, and ask the question.

She answers ...

Does this work?

Real Name
    António Correia

Re: Does this work?

Excellent work Colin

Real Name
    Steve

I was waiting for somebody to say that, so now I can say I think it would be better with a candle in it and softer and in colour. The flash looks a little harsh to be candle-light, but as you know I've been looking at a lot of your pics today and they still look alright on my calibrated display, in general mine don't.
    Strange thing is I thought I captured a special light in one, and people said how good it was but after calibration it looks like a water colour and the contrast is too low. So everybody says what a special light there is and I think they are seeing what I see
    or are they, how would I know.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Excellent work Colin
    Thanks Antonio

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I was waiting for somebody to say that, so now I can say I think it would be better with a candle in it and softer and in colour. The flash looks a little harsh to be candle-light, but as you know I've been looking at a lot of your pics today and they still look alright on my calibrated display, in general mine don't.
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments.

It wasn't actually shot with a candle (and I unfortunately don't have one to use as a prop) - I just thought that the under-lighting gave a similar direction of light to a candle. Softness comes from the size of the light source and distance from the subject ... so a candle would be a very harsh light source (probably similar to an on-camera built in flash), whereas the light from the light table is about 1 square meter, which is very soft; and I even applied a blur to the image to soften the whole image some more.

The colour version actually looks just fine, except the young lady was a bit uneven with her makeup ... which the grayscale version hides nicely, so I thought I'd run with that since I don't do many grayscale.

Real Name
    Kay

I love it - for the expression and pose

Colin

Yes its does. I really like the crop. The only niggle I have is that the lighting is accentuating some unflattering lines next to the nose and under the eye. It is simply a natural part of the way she is holding her face but the light from below is magnifying it. I know I am a contrary old cuss but I actually prefer this style over the move obviously posed stuff in the last batch.

I need to fire up the mac book pro later because I am seeing this on my current monitor as being ever so slightly sepia tinted and I prefer stronger greys for people. I will have to calibrate my monitor its a bit over due.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I love it - for the expression and pose
    Thanks Kay

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I need to fire up the mac book pro later because I am seeing this on my current monitor as being ever so slightly sepia tinted and I prefer stronger greys for people. I will have to calibrate my monitor its a bit over due.
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for that.

Your monitor is probably just fine ... it does have a slight sepia tint (I like the slight warmth it gives to grayscale images) - actually, I think you did very well to notice it (most don't).

Real Name
    Jim

I will start by saying great shot! Only thing I would question in this is, why would she have a jacket on when sat down for a candle lit dinner for two? Good use of lighting and I think it does fit the candle light quite well or rather it hints at candle light. All round good photo.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Fleshpiston View Post
    I will start by saying great shot! Only thing I would question in this is, why would she have a jacket on when sat down for a candle lit dinner for two? Good use of lighting and I think it does fit the candle light quite well or rather it hints at candle light. All round good photo.
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. In reality of course, it's shot in a studio - and we weren't shooting for any particular theme at the time ... so the engagement / dinner was my attempt to "set the scene". I like these kinds of "emotion" shots though - think I'll work on doing some more.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    - think I'll work on doing some more.
    As I always say - Why not?
    Your lighting in the photos I have seen is of the top shelf..... I think lighting is key (make or break) and you have the knack of "make". Good work and great to view.