Thread: Eyecup - help for an old man's vision...

Real Name
    Richard

Eyecup - help for an old man's vision...

At 77-years old, I am still going strong. I am healthy, weigh 180 pounds at six feet one inch tall, my blood pressure hovers around 130 over 70 and my cholesterol is way down there. However, my vision is not as acute as it once was. Although I don't need glasses for distance work, my closeup ability is lacking and I often have problems with extreme variations in light'

Hence my problems shooting with the Canon 7D Mark ii. Although I do love this camera, I have been experiencing difficulties reading the information at the bottom and sides of the frame. I was especially having difficulty reading the exposure level bar at the right side of the frame.

This eyecup has solved those difficulties.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shades my viewfinder from ambient light and allows me to easily read the information in the frame. It is also quite comfortable to use. Although I am left eyed, I can also use this eyecup sighting with my right eye. It also works with sunglasses. I have a pair of non prescription, non polarized sunglasses that have an over the counter bifocal reading field.

I purchased this eyecup from amazon.com and for the price of this simple accessory, it is like getting a new camera...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th November 2017 at 03:54 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Eyecup - help for an old man's vision...

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    At 77-years old, I am still going strong. I am healthy, weigh 180 pounds at six feet one inch tall, my blood pressure hovers around 130 over 70 and my cholesterol is way down there. However, my vision is not as acute as it once was. Although I don't need glasses for distance work, my closeup ability is lacking and I often have problems with extreme variations in light'

Hence my problems shooting with the Canon 7D Mark ii. Although I do love this camera, I have been experiencing difficulties reading the information at the bottom and sides of the frame. I was especially having difficulty reading the exposure level bar at the right side of the frame.

This eyecup has solved those difficulties.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shades my viewfinder from ambient light and allows me to easily read the information in the frame. It is also quite comfortable to use. Although I am left eyed, I can also use this eyecup sighting with my right eye. It also works with sunglasses. I have a pair of non prescription, non polarized sunglasses that have an over the counter bifocal reading field.
    We might as well be twins (apart from the Canon, of course) . .

I have used an eyecup like that on my DSLRs for several years and it is just as you say.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

As do I, but it is a right nuisance due to obstructing a significant part of the LCD (fixed on my D7100) especially when trying to show other shots just taken.

Perhaps I need a camera with a tiltable LCD (loved it on my D5000), the D850 looks nice

Real Name
    Catherine

That’s so useful to know about. It’s my distance vision that is weak but also, my right eye has significantly better vision. The camera seems designed for using the left eye at the viewfinder but I should experiment with using the right.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

The tear drop shaped rubber bit can (semi-easily*) be rotated for either left or right eyed use - at least it can on my camera which has a round viewfinder attachment.

I believe some cameras may have square or rectangular viewfinder bezels, which may require taking it off (unclip) before changing orientation is possible, mine can just be dragged round (* it's a bit 'grippy').

I use my glasses (and right eye) when shooting, which spaces my eye back from the normal eye piece, letting in too much glare, I use this to reduce that significantly.

Only problem might be whether it's even possible to fit one to your Nikon P900 Catherine.

Dave

PS Welcome Catherine, rather belated perhaps, but I think this is the first time I've responded in one of your posts

Real Name
    Richard

Catherine,
    If your right eye has significantly better vision, if might be worthwhile experimenting with using that eye.

My right eye also has better vision than my left but, I am left eyed (that is my predominant eye) and I am more comfortable usint that eye. I also like the mass of the camera against my forehead when using my left eye.
    If I were needing to focus manually, I might consider shooting right eyed but, I seem to get fairly good results using the left eye and I have been doing that all my life. The eyecup really helps me with using the left eye. I can see the edges of the frame better with the eyecup than without it... The eyecup can easily be twisted 180 degrees to facilitate the use of either eye.

Real Name
    Paul David

I wish that was available for a Fujifilm.

Real Name
    Richard

Paul David,

Would this fit? And do you think it would help?

https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Long.../dp/B00K8ROO6G

Real Name
    Paul David

Richard, I already have that on my XT-1. It is better than the one that came with the camera but not as comfortable as the one you have. Thanks for the link.

Real Name
    Richard

Sorry, but you are right. My new cup is very comfortable to shoot with...