Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you need it? Do you want it?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Do you need it? Do you want it?

An interesting looking devise that I am sure novice photographers will pin their hopes on.

What do you think?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Do you need it? Do you want it?

Another solution in search of a problem to solve...

Real Name
    John

I agree, half the fun of this thing we do is finding out how to do it ourselves; shortcuts are great but still matching your mind against ....

Real Name
    Grahame

Well, I wouldn't have to compute hyperfocal distance anymore and could leave all those expensive ND filters for long exposures at home

Real Name
    Robin

The focus stacking is a neat idea but one that many new cameras are getting by default - the rest - I have the Fuji app which cost nothing and does a very good job.

Real Name
    Yes

what - it doesn't tell me what I should be pointing my camera at, and it looks like i would still have to decide what to point the camera at and the zoom setting to use. Also I have to decide when to press the shutter - no AI to choose the decive moment.
    DSLR Controller continues to work at a fraction of the cost.

Real Name
    John

This looks a distinct possibiity for me. My Sony A55 will not work with most available external controllers (nor with this one). However, it would be much more practicable for me to buy an A77 which would work with my flash and lenses as well as Arsenal.

John
    Last edited by JohnRostron; 12th November 2017 at 07:52 AM.

Real Name
    Ted

Interesting system.

This made my stomach heave: "using a convolutional deep neural network". I long for that Great Day when ads say things like "shallow neural network" or, for garden tools, "made in China from pressed tin and barely up to the job" or, for Sigma Merrill cameras, 15MP, not 46MP . . . rant . . rant . .

I stopped reading when the inevitable jolly little pop-up "Hey, I'm Ryan . . . blah-di-blah" appeared with no visible button to turn it off - unless you move the mouse to within a cm when suddenly a pop-up-from-the-pop-up 'X' button appears. Stupid tricks like that really irritate me. I think I'll remain "AlwaysInManual", sorry Paul and sorry Ed (AlwaysInAuto).
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 11th November 2017 at 03:01 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Definitely inadequate. It should drive itself to the location and take the photos for the owner so that he or she can stay home and watch TV.

Reminds me of an idea a friend of mine put forward several years ago, not entirely in jest. He does some travel photography, and it struck him that there are literally thousands of photos of many of the places he goes, many better than his. (Shoot Antelope Canyon, anyone?) So, his idea was a device that would read your GPS location and give you a choice of photos taken from that exact spot, so you wouldn't have to lug and set up a camera.

I would probably pay a modest amount for a device that would clear the snow from my driveway or mow my lawn without my involvement. That's because those are chores. In the 50 years I have been doing photography, it has never occurred to me to think of it as a chore. It's fun to do, and it's fun to learn how to do more. In fact, our photo club has added regular open photo critiques to its schedule of formal competitions, and I just sent off four photos in the hopes of getting some solid criticism next Tuesday evening. Should be fun.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I am waiting for a quantum computing camera that will have all values for every pixel. That way every picture possible will be available with one snap of the shutter. The file size may be a little large though.

Real Name
    John

I think that many of these responses have been unduly dismissive. I have been taking photographs for over 50 years, and I could certainly do many of the tricks that Arsenal can perform, either in camera or with PP. But at my age, I appreciate anything that will make life simpler for me. In particular, I would appreciate anything that can operate with the camera at ground level and me upright!

John

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRostron View Post
    I think that many of these responses have been unduly dismissive.

John
    Anybody looked at the 'supported cameras list'?

Perfect for this forum, it is a "CaNikony" list. However, they do say:

"We plan to add cameras from Pentax, Panasonic, and Olympus, but please wait until we add official support to buy. We can't be sure yet which additional cameras will be supported."

Grump - I'm pretty sure which additional cameras will never be supported.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Grump - I'm pretty sure which additional cameras will never be supported.
    Leica, Hasselblad, Phase One, Mamiya?

Almost forget; Sigma?

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Leica, Hasselblad, Phase One, Mamiya?

Almost [forgot]; Sigma?
    Was wondering why CiC would not let me respond - you were busy rubbing in the juxtaposition of font sizes with a little edit.

Yes, in the tiny world of Sigma, when eagerly rushing to see "cameras supported" by some new whiz-bang application, we Foveonistas usually encounter what we call "The Gap". Normally it goes:
    Samsung
    Sony

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Was wondering why CiC would not let me respond - you were busy rubbing in the juxtaposition of font sizes with a little edit.

Yes, in the tiny world of Sigma, when eagerly rushing to see "cameras supported" by some new whiz-bang application, we Foveonistas usually encounter what we call "The Gap". Normally it goes:
    Samsung
    Sony

Unfortunately, it's all about market size, so the "minor players" tend to get left out.

I ran into the same thing a couple of weeks ago; I was looking at upgrading my home thermostat to a "smart" thermostat, more specifically an Ecobee 3. Neither Ecobee nor the better known Google Nest support Amana controller boards, so I'm stuck with a not so talented Emerson thermosat. Google suggests they "might" be compatible some day and Ecobee just ignores these products.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Perfect for this forum, it is a "CaNikony" list. However, they do say:
    If you are unhappy with this forum, you have an easy choice.

If you choose to remain, please stop referring this to a 'CaNikon' forum.

Any new member reading this should be aware that this forum welcomes people who shoot any sort of camera and it does not favour one brand over any other.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Originally Posted by xpatUSA Do you need it? Do you want it? Anybody looked at the 'supported cameras list'?

Perfect for this forum, it is a "CaNikony" list.
    If you are unhappy with this forum, you have an easy choice.

If you choose to remain, please stop referring this to a 'CaNikon' forum.
    If you would kindly read again what wrote, it said "CaNikony" with a 'y' on the end and referred to the list, not this forum directly. The list has only three camera mfgs: Canon, Nikon, Sony. I have no idea what the distribution of ownership in this forum is, but would guess that those are the top three.

My coined word, as I wrote it, was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. If it ruffled feathers, so be it, I won't undo it. However, do feel free to delete my post.

Any new member reading this should be aware that this forum welcomes people who shoot any sort of camera and it does not favour one brand over any other.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 12th November 2017 at 01:32 AM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I think it's a bit like a GPS for the car - if you can't drive or don't know where you want to go it is useless...

Real Name
    John

Perfect for this forum, it is a "CaNikony" list.
    OK, its a Canon, Nikon, Sony list, but at least it does include the more recent Sony models, unlike some accessory makers. It is unlikely to offer my older Sony A55, but it would be cheaper for me to upgrade to an A77 than to abandon Sony for a Canon.

John

Real Name
    Dave

Yes, but your quantum computing laptop, with Bose-Einstein condensate storage, will breeze through it

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I am waiting for a quantum computing camera that will have all values for every pixel. That way every picture possible will be available with one snap of the shutter. The file size may be a little large though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast