Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Marbled Godwit

Real Name
    Elise

Marbled Godwit

I often go down to the Elkhorn Slough, a protected wetlands near where I live. They recently had a contest for pictures for their 2011 calendar, and this pic of a marbled godwit is one of the ones I submitted. C&C welcome.

Marbled Godwit

Re: Marbled Godwit

Well, just a personal opinion, but although the reflection is good the bird appears lost amongst all that water and there is little in the way of clear plumage details visible.

I would crop tighter, but even then I wouldn't really consider this to be a suitable calendar subject. But let's see what other people think.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Elise,
    As a keen bird watcher and L plated photographer I have found that the closer you get to the subject the better.
    I would agree with Geoff and add that you should try another shot up closer,
    Hope I have been of some help,

Best Wishes Pat

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks for the comment -- I don't know if it makes any difference, but when you look at the full-size version of the picture, there's a lot of detail in the feathers -- in reducing to 700 on a side, maybe something was lost. There's a fair amount of subtle detail in the water ripples as well.

But I do take your point. I agree that a tighter crop would make a different, maybe better, photograph.

Yes I think you could certainly crop the left and top which, going by the original image, would make the bird 'stand out' a bit more.

You could possibly try a little selective sharpening to the body of the bird, but not the water. But only a little, otherwise it will appear unnatural.