Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 550D Owner details set up

Real Name
    Jonathan

550D Owner details set up

Am having some difficulty inputing the "owner name" and "author details" into the Canon eos utility software. The camera is connected to the computer and yet when I click on the set up menu icon the only part I can input is the Live View / Movie func. settings.

Any ideas?

Real Name
    Jonathan

Owner set up details....update

Hah - managed to do it ! well hidden away in the manual and not in an obvious place (to me at least) but done nonetheless.

If anyone wants to know pages 189 & 199 of the 550D manual refer...

Thanks to anyone who was looking..!

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Owner set up details....update

It took you only two hours to find it in a 200+ page manual? Speed Reader!

Pops

Re: Owner set up details....update

So in theory, it would be possible to enter these details into any Canon camera that downloads photos using the EOS Utility Download system?

Not that I have ever found the need to do this though. I just connect and download.

Real Name
    Michael Paul Reynolds

Re: 550D Owner details set up

hi
    my name is Mike i joined this site recently i was just wondering are you happy with the 550 ? i do intend to upgrade next year i have the 400D and the 550 is top of my list if you have the time i would app some feedback as the camera shops dont really give the full picture and to hear from someone who actually has one would be most helpfull

thanks

Real Name
    Jonathan

Re: 550D Owner details set up

So far the camera is great.

I'm really just starting in photography and deliberated for ages which make and model to purchase. I posted a couple of mails on here about choice (like many) between Canon & Nikon and found the advice useful - although really what it boils down to in the end is your personal preference in simple terms of ergonomics. Many of the replies I had advised me to go a shop and handle different models - which I did and decided to purchase a Canon - decision one!

I preferred the feel and layout of Canon and simply knew more people who used a Canon than Nikon, not very scientific but for a "newbie" all the tech talk is just confusing.

It was then a question of which model, I wavered for ages between the 50D and the 550D and whilst I preferred to handle the 50D I decided that for the time being I was buying a camera that would be used by the family, not me exclusively, and therefore something slightly lighter and with video would be a better all round option.

So far I haven't been disappointed, the camera is great, easy to use and I'm finding it easy to learn & experiment by changing settings, particularly the CA mode. I have taken about 1500 shots with it since August and don't regret the decision I made at all.

I am confused by the software that comes with the camera. There are 3 different programmes although to me they seem very similar and I really can’t distinguish what does what. So far I haven’t ventured at all into processing and that may explain why I find the software confusing. All the shots I want have taken that I want to keep are fine (I think !) and it’s something I have yet to get to grips with – I just don’t get it.

One point I would make is that many people talk about the lack of a top LCD and a second settings dial on the back with the more "professional" series cameras - Again being a novice I remember being concerned that the 550 doesn't have this layout and was it a problem? I have thought about it several times since as I find the 550 very easy to set up and really don't see what the fuss was / is about.

Finally I still have a slight question in my mind if I did the right thing between the 50D and 550D, only because other than making sure I understand how it works I haven't used the video at all yet. No doubt I will though as some of the on-line reviews showing videos made with are astounding.

Hope this helps - apologies it isn't a techy answer, simply my views as someone new to photography and this camera. If you want to know anything specific feel free to ask and I’ll answer if I can!