Thread: Photoshop CC 2018 Rich Tools

Real Name
    Richard

Photoshop CC 2018 Rich Tools

Adobe calls this feature for Photoshop CC 2018, RICH TOOLS, but I find it annoying and wanted to (if possible) shut it off.

When I hover over a tool on the left of my workspace, the 2018 version provides a RICH TOOL video thumbnail on how the tool is used.

This may be fine for a Photoshop Newbie but, I find it annoying to have these videos flash on my screen. Granted, I try to use keyboard commands whenever possible, but sometimes I need to select a tool with my cursor. I wondered if there was anyway to turn off this video help function...

I am posting this because other members might want to disable Rich Tools

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/...oshop-cc-2018/

This basically explains:

The option for turning Rich Tool Tips on and off is found in the Photoshop Preferences. On a Windows PC, go up to the Edit menu in the Menu Bar, choose Preferences, and then choose Tools. On a Mac, go up to the Photoshop CC menu, choose Preferences, and then choose Tools:
    In the Tools preferences, to turn Rich Tool Tips off and switch back to the traditional Tool Tips, simply uncheck the Use Rich Tooltips option. Then, click OK to close the Preferences dialog box. The next time you hover your mouse cursor over a tool in the Toolbar, you'll be see the normal Tool Tip:

Even easier: Ctrl + K (on PC) gives you preferences...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 23rd October 2017 at 04:37 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Photoshop CC 2018 Rich Tools

That was pretty well the first thing I did when I installed CC 2018; disabled that.

Adobe spent a lot of time and effort creating a very annoying feature. I'm not sure who the audience is. It reminds me very much of the "Clippy" paperclip (i.e. the Microsoft Office Assistant) that MS rolled out a number of years ago.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for pointing this out. Saves me the time of figuring out how to turn it off.

It seems like a truly bizarre thing to add to Photoshop. I dislike this sort of thing in general (I was annoyed by "clippy"), but I can see a rationale for making it available in software used a great deal by novices. It would make much more sense in Elements than in Photoshop CC.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

What a strange thing to introduce.

Thanks for that Richard. Rich Tools have not gone to that classroom in the sky!

Real Name
    Robin

Just had to go and try that as I typically use shortcuts - bit of a weird feature so I've turned it off as I know what the tools use.

It is good for those starting as PS has a very steep learning curve.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Might be more useful (for beginners) if they showed the differences between the variations of the tools, but for most, there's only one video of the default tool available. Perhaps they'll add them over time.

But you're right, having seen 'em once, that's enough, so they'll be turned off soon.

Real Name
    Arno

Thanks Richard, that would have driven me crazy the first time it showed up. I installed PS 2018 a couple of days ago and actually hadn't even noticed that yet. On my machine, I have to hover over a tool for about 2 sec before it shows up. If I pick a tool quickly, it doesn't get a chance to show up.

Regardless, I shut it off per your instructions.