Thread: Screen Brightness Problem

Real Name
    Barry

Screen Brightness Problem

With the latest Windows 10 updates my laptop (Lenovo) screen is too bright. I have looked at settings and control panel and cannot find a slider to reduce the brightness. Is there anyone on CiC who has the same problem and/or knows a solution?

Real Name
    John

Re: Screen Brightness Problem

Don't know which laptop you have but screen brightness should be on your keys, look for directional arrows or monitor/display or sun symbol.

If Lenovo have stayed consistent, then [Fn]+[F5] should make the screen darker.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 23rd October 2017 at 01:14 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    If Lenovo have stayed consistent, then Fn F5 should make the screen darker.
    Yes, on my brand new Lenovo (X1 Carbon), F5 does this. You can do it other ways. You can get to the Windows 10 brightness setting by right-clicking on the wallpaper and picking Display Settings. You can also pick settings from the left of the start menu. Or click on the start menu and start typing "brightness". You will only get two or three letters done before it comes up with "Change Display settings". Then just hit Enter. This last works with most programs or Windows settings.

However, to change the defaults, you have to go to Edit Power Plan. There you can set the default brightness for both AC and battery operation.

what Dan outlined will certainly change the windows defaults. the [Fn]+[F5] operates at the BIOS level - I found this useful when running dual boot systems.

Real Name
    Greg

On my very cheapo Lenovo Ideapad 100 the brightness keys are f11 (darker) and f12 (brighter). Terrible screen for photo editing though. I use a 5K iMac for that.

Real Name
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Pippan View Post
    On my very cheapo Lenovo Ideapad 100 the brightness keys are f11 (darker) and f12 (brighter). Terrible screen for photo editing though. I use a 5K iMac for that.
    You're a genius Greg. Never thought of looking at the F keys. F11 and F12 have the sun symbols on my laptop and have done the trick. I don't otherwise have problems with the screen that I calibrate with a Spyder. Thanks also to all others who have come up with solutions.

Real Name
    Greg

I'm sure your laptop is not as low-end as mine and has a much better screen. I only got mine for a specific business application that requires Windows.

Real Name
    Barry

This problem is proving more complex than anticipated. The F11 and F12 keys have no effect and I have been in touch with Lenovo to explain the problems. It would appear that there is a possible conflict between Lenovo's settings and the latest Windows 10 update. That's when the problem surfaced.

Real Name
    Barry

Afraid not, Trev, but thanks for interest. I suspect Windows 10 latest update could be the gremlin.

Real Name
    Dan

It does sometimes happen that an OS upgrade is incompatible with function keys. I had exactly that problem years ago with Windows 7 and an older laptop. However, there’s probably an easy work around. Have you tried using Windows’ own brightness controls, the ones I mentioned earlier? I have the newest version of Windows 10, and they work fine on my Lenovo (although it is a different model). The practical effect is the same. In fact, I have never bothered using the Fn key (on my Lenovo, F5) for brightness because it is so easy to control using Windows' own controls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DanK; 24th October 2017 at 01:04 PM.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    This problem is proving more complex than anticipated. The F11 and F12 keys have no effect and I have been in touch with Lenovo to explain the problems. It would appear that there is a possible conflict between Lenovo's settings and the latest Windows 10 update. That's when the problem surfaced.
    I have the latest Windows 10 update and my F11 and F12 keys still work. Have you tried holding down the Fn key while pressing them? (Mine work without doing that but perhaps there's a setting changed)

Have you followed this EXACT procedure?
    To use the function keys identified on your Lenovo you must hold down the [Fn] key and then tap the appropriate key, then release the [Fn] key.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Have you followed this EXACT procedure?
    To use the function keys identified on your Lenovo you must hold down the [Fn] key and then tap the appropriate key, then release the [Fn] key.
    Maybe. Lenovo often provides a way to toggle the functions of those keys. I always wanted the F1..F12 functions to be accessible without a second key, so I looked. On my old Lenovos, it was a bios switch, if I recall. In my new one, you just hold the Fn and Esc buttons simultaneously. On my new one, the escape key has a little light that stays on if the F1...F12 keys are accessible without the Fn key.

But at the risk of beating a dead horse, why not simply right-click on the wallpaper, select display settings, and set the brightness where you want it? The brightness slider is right at the top of the dialog that pops up. This is native Windows, and it should work on any computer.

Real Name
    Dan

I just checked, and on my Lenovo, changing the brightness with the Fn keys is simply an alternative to using the Windows 10 settings. If I open up the windows Display Settings dialog and then change the brightness with the Fn keys (F5 and F6 on my model), the Change Brightness slider in the windows dialog moves when either Fn key is pressed.

So, this reinforces my thought that if you having a problem with the Fn keys for brightness, just don't use them, and use the Windows slider instead. Same result.