Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Haraki Bay Rhodes GREECE

Real Name
    Russell

Haraki Bay Rhodes GREECE

Today at Haraki Bay Rhodes Island GREECE

haraki-shore-line.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 28th October 2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    David

Re: Haraki Bay Rhodes GREECE

Hi RussellSnr - welcome to CiC. Is Russell your first name (as we Scots would recognise)? The image you posted is a bit small even when clicking on the thumbnail. There are guidelines about how to post images of larger sizes somewhere - probably in the Common Room.

The image is very evocative of parts of Greece that I know - the rocks and sky, even if not in the height of summer. It appears as a long exposure with hazy sea and elongated clouds. I find it, as far as I can see it, very calm and peaceful. One thing I have learnt here, although it may not be easily applicable in your image, is for horizon shots, for want of a better expression, a 2:1 format is often better - it emphasises the width of the view. In this case it is difficult to do because you would lose essential elements of sky or rocks or both.

Another positive aspect of the image is the limited palette of colours, rendered, no doubt, by the season. This is an area of photography that I should like to explore more - not full colour, not monochrome, not reduced saturation, but limited palette.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Today at Haraki Bay Rhodes Island GREECE
    Hi, Thank you for the input.
    Yes Russell is first name and moved here from Carlisle and the wife is scottish.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    the wife is scottish.
    What a lucky, lucky lady.

Real Name
    Tim

Nice shot!

Real Name
    David

Russell - Now I see the larger version I note a very interesting compositional feature (of which I am sure you are aware). Because the exposure must have been over several seconds, the clouds are necessarily elongated. However, the angles the clouds make are spread out. If you run your eye backwards along the clouds on the RHS and then on the LHS you will see that they all originate from a point off-camera to the LHS (I checked roughly with a ruler and we're talking rough here, not super-precise). That in itself is an interesting aspect of the weather, but compositionally the off-camera point is on the horizon. This is the sort of thing landscape painters liked to include in their works.

Cheers

David