Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Spooky

Real Name
    John

Spooky

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~asylums/

As we are nearing the traditional period of Halloween or Samhain in other regions i thought it might be fun to divulge the origins of your recollection of the special day or places that gave you a fright as a youngster.

Mine can be found in the link above (State hospital of Buffalo), it is an insane asylum, going by many names over the centuries. The structure still stands today but is facing demolition if the preservation society does not act quickly.

Real Name
    David

Re: Spooky

John - My first recollection of fear and fright came when I got lost in a new school, aged about 4 (me, not the school). However, my wife's fear was the Daleks in Dr Who - a children's TV programme in the UK (recently revived with enormous success). When I say she was 14 at the time ...well

Cheers

David

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    John - My first recollection of fear and fright came when I got lost in a new school, aged about 4 (me, not the school). However, my wife's fear was the Daleks in Dr Who - a children's TV programme in the UK (recently revived with enormous success). When I say she was 14 at the time ...well

Cheers

David
    David,

Yes, I can remember quite a few frights from films at an early age, most of which were showcased at our school. I remember one about sanitation that depicted rodent infestation and it was shown about the time the movie "Willard" came out, and as far as the first day of school, I'm not ready to revisit those dark times as yet. Good stuff.

Real Name
    Steve

I have no recollection of school before the age of 8 apart from one day. The mind is the most frightening and I used to suffer from nightmares, the most frightening was where I woke and it was light but not a sound, then my dog came into the room. My dog was dead.

So the bedroom is the most frightening place.

Spooky

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I have no recollection of school before the age of 8 apart from one day. The mind is the most frightening and I used to suffer from nightmares, the most frightening was where I woke and it was light but not a sound, then my dog came into the room. My dog was dead.

So the bedroom is the most frightening place.

Spooky
    Was this a recurring dream?

Real Name
    Steaphany

I never really had any freights, though growing up in the New Yorks metropolitan area the local TV channels had "Chiller Theater" and "Creature Features" showing all those good monster, atomic, and alien invasion B movies.

If anyone wants something spooky, check out this video I have on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....20994131258096

I was digitally recording electronic measurements when I caught this. The image is of the scopes waiting on signals from the electronics which were idle during the period of this video. The ambient room noise was just as it is at the beginning and end, what's heard in the middle was not sound in the room.

I know many would immediately say it's a ghost.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    I never really had any freights, though growing up in the New Yorks metropolitan area the local TV channels had "Chiller Theater" and "Creature Features" showing all those good monster, atomic, and alien invasion B movies.

I was digitally recording electronic measurements when I caught this. The image is of the scopes waiting on signals from the electronics which were idle during the period of this video. The ambient room noise was just as it is at the beginning and end, what's heard in the middle was not sound in the room.

Unfortunately, using Facebook is one of my other fears.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes John, but different scenario different form; I do not want this dream again but I always wake up with the curtains open, sun shining from the wrong place and deaf, except for one noise which was my dog in the first and in the last the squeak of a rusty bike outside with somebody struggling to get up the hill on it which was many years ago. Then I suddenly wake up and it is pitch black and I can remember it made me very uncomfortable.

Fortunately it doesn't happen anymore. I feel like I'm being psycho analysed now. It has only happened a few times but easy to remember because it is very real.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post

Yep that's a ghost, only joking because I don't believe in ghosts; but I did see a chap with a handlebar moustache and green suit looking at me in a mirror I glanced in at Warwick castle, don't know where he went but I suppose it was an optical illusion of some sort, and the shadow of a lady walking down stairs at Tamworth castle.

So you won't see me deliberately putting myself in spooky places although I wasn't bothered by the Robinson sisters at Lichfield, although I didn't know I was on my own.

I like being illogical

This is a fun thread! I had lots of fears when I was young (actually, until I got married) and have always had an overactive imagination. I didn't think that I would share but I just remembered the big yellow couch that we had in the living room when I was growing up. If I woke up early, I was afraid to go in there - it was so still - and I was afraid that an extremely tall, yellow, Uncle Sam would unfold himself from under that couch!

Strangely, in just recent years, i found out that my sister had a fear of a tall yellow man that she thought resided outside in the back yard. Psycho analysis, please!!!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    This is a fun thread! I had lots of fears when I was young (actually, until I got married) and have always had an overactive imagination. I didn't think that I would share but I just remembered the big yellow couch that we had in the living room when I was growing up. If I woke up early, I was afraid to go in there - it was so still - and I was afraid that an extremely tall, yellow, Uncle Sam would unfold himself from under that couch!

Strangely, in just recent years, i found out that my sister had a fear of a tall yellow man that she thought resided outside in the back yard. Psycho analysis, please!!!
    Those type of fears are understandable, seeing or hearing something for the first time, interesting that color can play such a role in our fears.

Real Name
    Seri

I agree with Katy that this is a fun thread, and I think it deserves another run (though I'm learning that at CiC the filing can be Alician at times ). I confess to also being curious about other people's childhood frights and fears.

I had fears, and recurring dreams like most kids, but only mild ones. The only fright I remember was when I was still in my pram, and was caused by, of all things, a photographer! He stuck this huge black thing at me and I was terrified, and the moment was recorded for scores of relatives to giggle over. It's very strange that I ever got near a camera again

We were living in a slum at that time, and my mum cut my hair. Her enthusiasm for the job far exceeded her skills, and things got worse when I was older and literally had a 'pudding bowl' cut. Soon after that I refused to ever have photos taken of me again

Thanks for starting the thread, John,

Seri

Spooky

Quote Originally Posted by Seriche View Post
    (though I'm learning that at CiC the filing can be Alician at times ).
    ...as in, down a rabbit hole???

Real Name
    Bill S

Haha! I've been here less than six months and I feel the same way. Threads that I know I've seen before are lost and I can't ever seem to find them to reference them. And the search function rarely is a help...

- Bill

Real Name
    Bill S

Guess I'll contribute to the thread too...

One of my recurring nightmares (I have several different ones actually) shows what kind of a nerd I am... It has variations, but generally involves working with large numbers or mathematical equations. I never am able to do these things on paper or such in my dream, so it is all in my head... and I *always,always,always* lose track somehow. I'm always filled with a sense of dread after those. Part of me thinks that once I am able to solve the equation or whatever it is that I'm working on in my dream, I'll have achieved the secret of life or something.

- Bill

Real Name
    Seri

Quite so I make words up on a regular basis (though this one might already exist bound to another meaning). I got the idea from this maverick:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

"The question is, " said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty. "which is to be master—that's all."

One of the few fiction books I've ever read, and I re-read it regularly in order to prevent too great a belief in any kind of real world

I do hope John spots the return of this one and comes back to keep us all in order. Bill's tempting me to roll out my recurring nightmares ...

Night, night,

Seri

Ooooooh, Seri! You fit right in around here!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Haha! I've been here less than six months and I feel the same way. Threads that I know I've seen before are lost and I can't ever seem to find them to reference them. And the search function rarely is a help...

- Bill
    The search function appears to have changed. Perhaps the moderators can enlighten us on how the tags work.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Guess I'll contribute to the thread too...

One of my recurring nightmares (I have several different ones actually) shows what kind of a nerd I am... It has variations, but generally involves working with large numbers or mathematical equations. I never am able to do these things on paper or such in my dream, so it is all in my head... and I *always,always,always* lose track somehow. I'm always filled with a sense of dread after those. Part of me thinks that once I am able to solve the equation or whatever it is that I'm working on in my dream, I'll have achieved the secret of life or something.

- Bill
    Accounting courses will do that to you also.