Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid Life Crisis (not for the faint hearted!)

Mid Life Crisis (not for the faint hearted!)

Mid Life Crisis (not for the faint hearted!)

Re: Mid Life Crisis (not for the faint hearted!)

I don't mean to question your skills, Steve, but on this occasion do you not think the camera is a little too high?

I did consider it but I could n't find a big enough frame It was bad enough with this shot. WireVixen has not laughed so much since our wedding night!

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I did consider it but I could n't find a big enough frame It was bad enough with this shot. WireVixen has not laughed so much since our wedding night!
    That's right, I'll set 'em up, you just do the punch-lines...

Real Name
    Jason

I really like the detail in the hands. The deep shadows underneath and in between the fingers really helped define the curves of the knuckles.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

There should also be some sort of warning as you click on the thread title - just like the news programmes that lead in to some items with, "Some viewers may find some of the scenes distressing".

And I don't wish to seem nit-picky, but the centre of the belly button is slightly above the bottom third horizontal within the frame!

Perhaps this will (or ought to) be the start of a triptych series? Today the midriff, tomorrow the head and shoulders and Monday you get banned

What will Colin make of this? At least it's not in HDR (is it?)

I could not find anything in the rules about exposure of the middle aged midriff. I was going to get all Stanley Spencer and include half a pound of Cumberland sausage...but I immediately thought of Colin....thats sounds all wrong doesn't it

Ah em, now if we can all get past the tittering in class. What about the photograph? Jason goes to the the top of the class for offering sensible comment.

Real Name
    Steve

Actually I think I'[ve seen it before. I was thinking of something rude to say, but I don't think it transgressed decency too much, so I won't.

There is too much influence of mediocre, and maybe steve should look to the influential, without the money but just good. Look THIS is what I think is good.

This is really good:

http://public.fotki.com/bdira2/life-is/100-8197.html

Can't see it, well I don't know why she won't show her work, but maybe you can find it; bdira2
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 24th October 2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: converted to url

Unusual style and some of her shots are very thought provoking. It looks as if she uses a Holga or Diana. I will have to show my daughter these since she has asked for a Diana for Christmas. Not the style I was aiming for though. If you look through my images you will see I do tend to do mediocre thats why I am here so I can hopefully learn to do better

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

If you look through my images you will see I do tend to do mediocre
    Mediocre you DO NOT do!

Ah em, now if we can all get past the tittering in class. What about the photograph? Jason goes to the the top of the class for offering sensible comment.
    It speaks to me of an existential yearning for identity. The frame represents the formal structure of your identity dictated by the strictures of modern society. And yet, your anomie, if I may put it that way, is clear from the desire to break free of those constraints imposed by others. You have shed your transient garments of cloth and in true Adamic style seek an alter-ego that transcends the superfluity of modern life. In short, it is a juxtaposition shot representing the dilemma of modern life - "do I become an Audi man, or do I seek individuality?" I feel your pain, brother.

(Note to self: Keep out of the medicine cabinet)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ah em, now if we can all get past the tittering in class. What about the photograph?
    Yeh. Well. Like. It. Well. It's awright. Yeh? Okay? Cool. Like. Yeh?

And ... to be serious. I wonder if the impact would have been even more powerful if you had cropped it just at the bottom of your neck; i.e. showing the whole torso? Although, having said that, I don't know what you could have done with the shoulders and arms.

It speaks to me of an existential yearning for identity. The frame represents the formal structure of your identity dictated by the strictures of modern society. And yet, your anomie, if I may put it that way, is clear from the desire to break free of those constraints imposed by others. You have shed your transient garments of cloth and in true Adamic style seek an alter-ego that transcends the superfluity of modern life. In short, it is a juxtaposition shot representing the dilemma of modern life - "do I become an Audi man, or do I seek individuality?" I feel your pain, brother.
    Wow, I only intended it to be an advert soft clean living and abstinence ...but you could be right. I will have to mull over your words with a dictionary and a 16 pack of ibuprofen.

And ... to be serious. I wonder if the impact would have been even more powerful if you had cropped it just at the bottom of your neck; i.e. showing the whole torso? Although, having said that, I don't know what you could have done with the shoulders and arms
    Donald, I did quite a bit of messing about with the cropping. The lower edge was a given but I also wanted a very tight composition to match. I will have another play around with the crops since I never thought to go any wider at the time.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Steve,

With the distinct elements of the frame, hands, the area within and the area outside the frame, this image would lend itself to a color pop effect. Have you played around with this to see what the combination of monochrome and color elements would have on the final image ?

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Perhaps this will (or ought to) be the start of a triptych series? Today the midriff, tomorrow the head and shoulders and Monday you ........
    .....could perhaps consider the merits of Feet Photography!....or I've always felt there's something to be said for a nice pair of knees....

With the distinct elements of the frame, hands, the area within and the area outside the frame, this image would lend itself to a color pop effect. Have you played around with this to see what the combination of monochrome and color elements would have on the final image ?
    Steaphany, I must say I did not try it on this image, although I did so a similar thing with the empty frame. I will post later if I get chance. I will have a go with this one. You are right there are possibilities.

.....could perhaps consider the merits of Feet Photography!....or I've always felt there's something to be said for a nice pair of knees....
    Ok, OK I get the hint Kay. After all that time spent cloning out the six pack as well. My knees are not too bad but being 6ft 6" I have feet like Skippy the Bush Kangeroo so no show there I am afraid.

To be honest this image has been successful in drawing the right reaction. The hands and the grip represent the posturing of the mid age male. This posturing is a an ill attempted diversion from the reality which I have put into the focus by use of the frame. The fact that the posturing throws the very things we attempt to hide into sharp focus is inevitable. It is typified by the male tendency to ignore the attention he draws to the vestiges of age by the use of extreme counter propping e.g. paternity shirts, balding men driving open topped cars, emancipated 40 plus health freaks in tight lycra, 1970's disco dancing at weddings, shaving the head to disguise hair loss (never managed to work that one out at all). All these things accentuate the ageing process they attempt to hide, but male ego being male ego we look in the mirror and see a tight muscled 18 year old staring back at us

It even manifests itself in the image above.You will note I stand full on to the camera. When Wirevixen saw this she said it didn't get the point across because I looked to lean front on....she suggested I stand sideways. Right I'm off for a session with the nasal hair trimmer and a quick boogie to Dancing Queen

Real Name
    Steve

Unusual style and some of her shots are very thought provoking. It looks as if she uses a Holga or Diana. I will have to show my daughter these since she has asked for a Diana for Christmas. Not the style I was aiming for though. If you look through my images you will see I do tend to do mediocre thats why I am here so I can hopefully learn to do better
    Sorry, I didn't mean mediocre; I have a brain injury after I was hit on the back of the head by a five ton truck, when I was on the pavement. The company said it didn't happen though.

I mean't take photo's of ordinary things like crayons, where I like your interesting perspective, I much prefer to concentrate on complexity and not very inspiring photo's, just try and do ordinary right.

I think Bdira2 is an artist, and does photo's or images the likes of which I have never seen before, and she does them with the simplest of equipment.

Sorry for sounding like the idiot I am, I tend to have difficulty in the thinking dept.

Steve

No need to apologise at all in fact your comments always make me think twice about what I am doing. I understand what you are saying about simplicity though and I have been trying to edge back that way but just at the moment the inspiration fails me.

I admire Bidra2's work because it is basic and raw. There is no pretention and it makes you think. They are all the ingredients I would like to get into my images.

Steve

Real Name
    Kay

It is typified by the male tendency to ignore the attention he draws to the vestiges of age by the use of extreme counter propping e.g. paternity shirts, balding men driving open topped cars, emancipated 40 plus health freaks in tight lycra, 1970's disco dancing at weddings, shaving the head to disguise hair loss (never managed to work that one out at all).
    And buying a motorbike! - that seems to be common here-abouts...they hit 50 and off they go lusting after a Harley-Davidson (law says they have to start on a 150cc Honda though )

BC bless his cotton socks sticks to his mountain bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast